Today, Apple has announced its first Apple Silicon for Mac, the new M1 chip. The new chip combines CPU, GPU, and Neural Engine to deliver 2x faster performance than PC chips. Built on 5nm technology and 16 billion transistors, M1 has 8 high-performance cores and 4 high-efficiency cores to offer the lowest power consumption ever on a Mac.
In addition, the new M1 also has a unified memory architecture that allows all components to access the same data without consuming power in copying and translating the same information over and over again.
“M1 is here. Our first chip designed specifically for Mac, it delivers incredible performance, custom technologies, and revolutionary power efficiency. And it was designed from the very start to work with the most advanced desktop operating system in the world, macOS Big Sur. With a giant leap in performance per watt, every Mac with M1 is transformed into a completely different class of product. This isn’t an upgrade. It’s a breakthrough.”
The New M1- The First Apple Silicon for Macs
Here are the tech specs of the M1 chip:
- Unified memory shared across the entire system
- 3.9x faster video processing
- 7.1x faster image processing
- Powerful and power-efficient CPU
- 8-cores: 4 high performance and 4 high-efficiency cores
- 2x faster CPU performance than PC laptop chip
- 3.5x faster CPU performance
- 3x CPU performance per watt
- Integrated Graphics
- 25k concurrent threads
- 2x faster GPU performance than PC laptop chip
- Next-gen Machine Learning
- 15x faster ML performance
- 11 trillion operations per second
- Efficient battery life
- New 13-inch MacBook Pro: up to 17 hours wireless web browsing and 20 hours movie playback
- New 13-inch MacBook Air: up to 15 hours of wireless web browsing and 18 hours of movie playback
With the new advanced M1 chip, Apple has implemented custom technologies in its Mac operating system, macOS Big Sur.
“macOS Big Sur is engineered to take full advantage of all the capability and power of the M1 chip — making everything you love about macOS faster, better, and more secure. It’s our most powerful software ever, running on our most advanced hardware yet.”
Here are some of the new features on the latest Mac software:
- Instantly wakes up the new Apple Silicon Mac like the iPhone and iPad
- Apps launch faster
- Improved Safari performance
- Smooth system animations
- New, faster, and improved gaming and video editing experience with better graphics on the new GPU
- Power management on new Mac on M1 for longer battery life
- Advanced security
The most important and exciting feature coming to the new M1 Mac is the freedom to run all iOS and iPadOS apps on the Mac for the very first time. All apps are optimized for macOS Big Sur on M1 and users are offered a great range of apps: universal apps compatible with Apple Intel Core processors and Rosetta 2 allows users to enjoy the apps which have not yet transitioned to M1.
Here is the list of few apps built for new M1 Macs:
- HBO Max
Starting today, the new MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and Mac mini models with M1 are available for order on apple.com and will be in stores on November 17.