IntelliJ IDEA, a popular development environment for JAVA and other programming languages, is now available as a native M1 Mac app for testing. The app is available as an early preview and is still under development and getting some bug fixes, but it gives a taste of the performance that one can expect when using it on Apple Silicon.
Developed by JetBrains, IntelliJ IDEA is one of the most popular IDE for JAVA development. Over time, it has also received support for other programming languages such as Kotlin, Python, Rust, Perl, and many more. It is available as both a free community edition and a paid ‘ultimate’ edition, which features support additional languages, frameworks, databases, and more.
IntelliJ IDEA for Apple Silicon Macs is now available for testing
Early impressions from users who have downloaded and installed the test build have been mixed. While some users have praised the IDE’s performance on M1 Macs, many others have complained of memory leaks and sluggish performance when scrolling or resizing windows. Compared to Visual Studio Code, which is already performing extremely well on Apple Silicon, it seems like IntelliJ IDEA still needs some work to be done before it is ready for M1 Macs.
If you have an M1 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, or Mac mini, you can download the IntelliJ IDEA test build from here.
Microsoft has also released a preview build of Visual Studio Code for M1 Macs frameworks, while Node.js and Electron have already been updated with native Apple Silicon support. Docker for M1 Macs is also currently available as a preview.
- Firefox 84 released with support for Apple Silicon M1 Macs
- Chrome for Apple Silicon M1 Macs is now available
- Twitter app for Mac gets macOS Big Sur support, design improvements, and updated icon
- Sparkle app is updated for Apple Silicon and macOS Big Sur with new design and SEO Assistant
- Apple drops ‘X’ from ‘Final Cut Pro’ – optimizes it for M1 chip with new social media tools
- Apple Silicon Mac universal app updates: DaVinci Resolve, Darkroom, Omni Productivity Suite, Nova 3, and Fantastical