Apple has released tvOS 17 for Apple TV HD and later models. The major software update for Apple TV features support for video conferencing, Apple Music Sing, improved Control Center, Find My support for Siri Remote, improved screen savers, and much more.
Over the past few years, Apple TV has not received a lot of new software features. But this year, tvOS 17 changes everything. At WWDC 23, Apple announced that tvOS 17 will be getting the following features:
- FaceTime comes to Apple TV via Continuity Camera for iPhone or iPad. Video conferencing will also be supported by third-party apps later this year, including Webex by Cisco and Zoom, thanks to Continuity Camera APIs on Apple TV 4K. Center Stage will also be available via Continuity Camera so that users always remain framed in the center during calls.
- Split View for Apple TV will let users watch movies or TV shows with friends and family while on FaceTime calls.
- Users will be able to switch FaceTime calls back and forth between an Apple TV and iPhone/iPad, while new call alerts will hide the caller’s name for privacy purposes.
- Apple Music Sing will allow users to enjoy Karaoke on Apple TV while watching themselves on the big screen with fun filters.
- Control Center will now show time, system status, active profile, and other useful information at a glance.
- Find My support comes to the Siri Remote so that it is easier than ever to find when lost in a couch.
- When users launch the Remote app on their iPhone to use Apple TV, it will automatically switch to their profile on the big screen.
- Screen saver updates now allow users to watch their curated memories from their personal photo library, as well as enjoy new aerial screen savers including Arizona’s Monument Valley and California’s coastal redwoods.
- Apple Fitness+ custom plans will be coming to tvOS 17.
- Third-party VPNs are coming to Apple TV.
- Dolby Vision 8.1 support will be available on Apple TV 4K.
- On Apple TV 4K paired with HomePod (2nd generation), a new Enhance Dialogue feature will allow users to listen more clearly to spoken dialogues.
Apple has also released HomePod Software version 17 which brings Siri support for AirPlay, ability to mute or unmute a call, and more.
Software version 17 includes support for your HomePod. This update also includes bug fixes and stability improvements.
– Siri support for AirPlay allows you to start an AirPlay session from your iPhone or iPad directly on your HomePod using just your voice, so you can play an even wider range of third-party music services on HomePod.
– New call controls enable you to mute or unmute a call on HomePod.
– Enhance Dialogue on HomePod (2nd generation) gives you the option to hear spoken voices more clearly over background sounds when paired with Apple TV 4K.
What’s new in tvOS 17?
September 12 – Apple has released tvOS 17 release candidate to developers.
September 5 – Apple has released tvOS 17 beta 9 to developers.
August 29 – Apple has released tvOS 17 beta 8 to developers.
August 22 – Apple has released tvOS 17 beta 7 to developers.
August 15 – Apple has released tvOS 17 beta 6 to developers.
August 8 – Apple has released tvOS 17 beta 5 to developers.
July 31 – Apple has released tvOS 17 public beta 2 to testers.
July 25 – Apple has released tvOS 17 beta 4 to developers.
July 12 – Apple released the first tvOS 17 public beta to users.
July 5 – Apple has released tvOS 17 beta 3 to developers.
June 21 – Apple has released tvOS 17 beta 2.
June 5 – Apple released the first developer beta for tvOS 17 to developers.
Can you install tvOS 17 on your Apple TV?
tvOS 17 is compatible with the following Apple TV models:
- Apple TV HD
- Apple TV 4K (first generation)
- Apple TV 4K (second generation)
- Apple TV 4K (third generation)
How to install tvOS 17 beta?
Installing the developer beta on Apple TV is not a simple process and requires not only an Apple Developer Account but also the use of Xcode. You can read the detailed process of installing tvOS 17 developer beta on Apple TV.
Installing public beta builds is much easier. Simply register to the Apple Beta Software Program, and on your Apple TV, go to Settings > System > Software Update, and enable “Get Beta Updates”. Once done, you should be able to download and install the new beta updates.