Microsoft has released a significant update to the Photos app in Windows 11 with a new slideshow, timeline scrollbar, and spot-fix tool.
New Photos app in Windows 11 now also features an “Auto Enhance” add-on
Microsoft has rolled out a big update for the Photos app in Windows 11 to Insiders in the Dev and Canary channel. The update adds several new features like a slideshow, timeline scrollbar, and the spot fix tool that was removed when the app was rewritten over a year ago.
- Slideshow: Users can now use the new slideshow options to enhance the photo viewing experience with animations, smooth transitions, and 25 different music soundtracks to choose from, grouped together as different kinds of themes ranging from chill, fun, energetic, sentimental, and more.
- Timeline scrollbar: Users can use the timeline bar to quickly jump to any point in time and find photos. Use the scrollbar on All Photos, OneDrive, and iCloud Photos gallery views to make it easier to go back in time to find photos taken years ago.
- Spot Fix: Users can use the Spot Fix feature to remove blemishes or unwanted areas in their pictures with ease.
Here are some of the other new additions:
- Auto Enhance is now available for use without having to install the 93MB add-on.
- When importing photos from external devices, you can now drag and drop to choose the photos you want and use the quick toggle to confirm the files that have been selected.
- Hidden iCloud Photos will no longer display in the gallery.
- Fixed an issue where audio on video files is muted by default. The app now plays the audio by default and persists user settings across videos.
- Copying and pasting a photo from the Photos app into Outlook and Teams now inserts the image inline by default instead of adding an attachment.
- Multi-select photos: hold down the SHIFT key while selecting photos in the gallery now select multiple consecutive photos in a row; holding down the CTRL key selects multiple non-consecutive photos.
Do keep in mind, the new Photos app is available in preview now for Insiders in the Dev and Canary Channel with version 2023.11050.2013.0 or higher of the Photos app. The update can be downloaded directly from the Microsoft Store.