Apple has released iOS 7.1 for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. This much needed update contains performance improvements for all supported devices, UI improvements, CarPlay support and more. Animations are much faster now and overall performance, specially for iPhone 4, is much improved now.
The change log for this release is hefty but to sum it up, Apple has mentioned the below on their website:
- Touch ID fingerprint recognition is improved.
- An occasional Home screen crash bug has been fixed.
- iPhone 4 users will enjoy improved responsiveness and performance.
Apart from the above, the following updates are available:
- Siri can now be set to listen to you as long as you keep the home button pressed.
- Camera on iPhone 5s can now automatically enabled HDR so you can take amazing pictures
- Call, End Call, Accept, Decline and Power buttons are now rounded
- Calendar now shows an events list
- iTunes Radio has improvements to search and lets you listen to it without ads if you are an iTunes Match subscriber
- Accessibility options let you customize fonts, reduce motion for messages, weather and multitasking UI, and to darken colors throughout the OS
- Various UI refinements
- The green color in various icons is toned down and more pleasant on the eyes
- CarPlay. This is a brand new feature but you would need a car which ships with this feature. (Car sold separately)
If you are using any of the below devices, go to Settings > General > Software Update on your iOS device to start the update. You can also use iTunes to download the update and install in on your iPhone or iPad. We recommend that a clean install be done to maximize enjoy full performance.
- iPhone 4 and above
- iPad 2 and above
- iPod Touch 5G
Learn more about iOS 7.1 update on Apple’s website.