Apple announced its new M3 family of chips at its “Scary Fast” event on October 30, 2023. The M3 chips are built on TSMC’s 3nm process and offer significant performance improvements over the previous M2 chips.
Apple specifically mentioned gaming at the event and claimed that the M3 chips will deliver up to 2x better gaming performance than the M2 chips. This is a significant improvement and will make the new MacBook Pro with M3 chips a very capable gaming machine.
In which way the M3 chips will improve gaming performance on the new MacBook Pro?
According to Apple, the M3 chips are the most powerful computer chips ever made for a laptop, and they offer a number of significant benefits for gamers. With up to 16 CPU cores and 40 GPU cores, the M3 chips are capable of running even the most demanding games at high frame rates and resolutions.
One of the most significant benefits of the M3 chips for gamers is dedicated hardware support for ray tracing. Ray tracing is a rendering technique that simulates the physical behavior of light to create more realistic images.
Games that use ray tracing can look incredibly realistic, but they are also very computationally expensive. The dedicated hardware support for ray tracing on the M3 chips means that gamers can enjoy ray tracing in their favorite games without sacrificing too much performance.
Another benefit of the M3 chips for gamers is M3 Dynamic Caching. M3 Dynamic Caching is a new memory management system that allows the GPU to allocate memory more efficiently. This can improve gaming performance by reducing the amount of time it takes for the GPU to access the memory it needs.
Games that will benefit from the improved gaming performance of the new MacBook Pro with M3 chips
- AAA games: The most demanding games, such as Cyberpunk 2077, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Elden Ring, will be able to run at higher frame rates and resolutions on the new MacBook Pro with M3 chips.
- Indie games: Indie games that use ray tracing, such as Control and Minecraft RTX, will look more realistic and immersive on the new MacBook Pro with M3 chips.
- eSports games: Esports games that require high frame rates and low latency, such as Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and League of Legends, will run even better on the new MacBook Pro with M3 chips.
In addition to the improved gaming performance, the new MacBook Pro with M3 chips also offers a number of other features that make it a great choice for gamers, including:
- A high-resolution display with a fast refresh rate
- A long-lasting battery life
- A comfortable keyboard and trackpad
- A wide range of ports for connecting external devices
The new MacBook Pro with M3 chips is a great choice for gamers who want a powerful and portable gaming machine. The new M3 chips offer significant performance improvements over the previous M2 chips, making them capable of running even the most demanding games at high frame rates and resolutions.