A new patent granted by the European Patent Office reveals that the Apple mixed reality headset might support Continuity features.
Apple’s “Continuity” features enable devices in its ecosystem to communicate interchangeably so users can easily switch between devices and start their work from where they left off in the same app. Features like Universal Control, Continuity Camera, AirPlay to Mac, Sidecar, and Handoff are some of Apple’s Continuity features.
Apple mixed reality headset might bring Continuity feature in an Extended Reality system
Powered by augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) technology, the upcoming mixed reality headset will feature a Digital Crown for users to quickly switch between AR and VR as the headset is designed for gaming, streaming, and communication purposes.
Rumor mills claim that the Apple mixed reality headset will feature LiDAR scanners and sensors to support eye tracking and the technology described in the new patent is partially based on that.
Titled Multi-Device Continuity for use with Extended Reality (XR) Systems” the filing explains how the mixed reality headset will allow users to continue various tasks like drafting emails and playing music across Apple devices without physical input and interruption in an extended reality system.
Implementations of the subject technology provide continuous transfer of content editing and/or control between various devices in an extended reality system.
The extended reality system includes at least one device that is capable of determining the locations of other devices in the system. This device can manage continuous transfer of control between other devices in the system responsive to three-dimensional location-based user inputs, and/or can manage continuous transfer of control between one or more of the other devices and the device itself.
Using head movement detection, and eye tracking, the extended reality (XR) system would simulate an environment in which people can sense or interact via an electronic device to adjust graphical content, draft and edit content, transfer content, and more.
- As one example, the XR system may detect head movement and, in response, adjust graphical content and an acoustic field presented to the person in a manner similar to how such views and sounds would change in a physical environment.
- As another example, the XR system may detect the movement of the electronic device presenting the XR environment (e.g., a mobile phone, a tablet, a laptop, or the like) and, in response, adjust graphical content and an acoustic field presented to the person in a manner similar to how such views and sounds would change in a physical environment.
- For example, with the subject technology, a user drafting an email on their smartphone can place the smartphone in the field of view of an XR device (e.g., a tablet device or a head mountable system) and continue drafting the email in an XR environment created by the XR device.
- In another example, with the subject technology, a user using an XR device (e.g., a user holding a tablet device or wearing a head mountable system) in a physical environment that includes a smart speaker device and the user’s smartphone may look at or gesture toward the smart speaker device. Responsive to a detection of the user looking at or gesturing toward the smart speaker device by the XR device, a song that is playing on the user’s phone can be transferred to play on the smart speaker device.
The new Apple mixed reality headset is expected to launch this year, but it is uncertain when this year. Initially, it was reported that the company might unveil it at the WWDC 2023 event but later, Ming-Chi Kuo claimed that the device was facing software issues that could delay its launch.
- 2nd-gen Apple mixed reality headset to debut in 2025 with high and low-end models
- Apple mixed reality headset might not require an iPhone to work
- New Apple mixed reality headset rumors: new partner and cheaper model
- Apple mixed reality headset will let all users create AR apps via Siri
- Apple mixed reality headset to feature Digital Crown, support H2 AirPods, and more