Apple acquired the Shazam app in 2018 for reportedly $400 million, now the company has announced that Shazam’s music recognition service has been used to identify over a billion songs from Control Center in iOS.
Previously, the Cupertino tech giant updated the Shazam app for iPhone and iPad with a new design, trending charts, notifications for missed Shazams, and more. There is also a web version of the app with the capability to identify music via the microphone of a computer, tablet and smartphone, so that users can enjoy music recognition service without downloading the app.
Top 10 songs identified by Shazam’s music recognition service via Apple’s iPhone Control Center
In iOS 14.2, Apple added a Shazam toggle in the iPhone’s Control Center. Here are the top 10 songs iPhone owners used the music recognition service to identify.
- Talking To The Moon by Bruno Mars
- Astronaut In The Ocean by Masked Wolf
- MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name) by Lil Nas X
- Beggin by Maneskin
- Another Love by Tom Odell
- Runaway by AURORA
- Dick by StarBoi3 Feat. Doja Cat
- Arcade by Duncan Laurence
- Stay by The Kid LAROI & Justin Bieber
- drivers license by Olivia Rodrigo
How to add Shazam to iOS Control Center
iPhone users can easily add the new Shazam music recognition toggle to Control Center by following the listed steps.
- Open the iPhone’s Settings app and choose “Control Center” option.
- Search for and select Shazam beneath the “More Controls” header.
- Tap on the ‘Shazam’ option to add its toggle in the Control Center and rearrange.
Recently, Apple Music announced that the service can identify music by different artists used in DJ mixes to compensate them for their creations using Shazam’s music recognition capability. As DJ mixes use a lot of different clips from a variety of songs, that makes it difficult to stream them on platforms like YouTube and Twitch because of copyright infringement strikes. Now, Shazam has made it possible for Apple to fairly divide streaming royalties among artists, DJs, and labels involved in mixes.