It is common practice for the tech giant to stop signing older iOS versions after the public release of a new version because the latest software updates include new features, improvements, bug fixes, and more importantly, they feature significant security fixes to protect users from malicious malware or vulnerabilities.
Therefore, to deliver enhanced user experience and security, Apple ensures that all compatible devices run on the latest OS version by making it impossible to downgrade from it.
Another reason to stop signing older OS versions is jailbreak. As jailbreak of the latest version is not immediately available, updating to the new version renders jailbreaking tools ineffective. Apple argues that users can download unapproved apps on jailbroken iPhones which opens the door for malware to weaken iOS security and jeopardize their privacy.
Downgrades from iOS 16.0.2 to iOS 16.0.1 and iOS 16 are no longer possible
On September 12, Apple released iOS 16 to the public after months of beta testing. The company soon has to release iOS 16.0.1 update to fix a few bugs impacting iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models like issues with activation and migration, photos in landscape orientation, and others.
However, users reported several more issues, especially on iPhone 14 like a shaky camera in third-party apps, copy-paste, VoiceOver not working, and other bugs. On September 23, Apple released iOS 16.0.2 with multiple fixes and security improvements.
- Camera may vibrate and cause blurry photos when shooting with some third-party apps on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max
- Display may appear completely black during device setup
- Copy and paste between apps may cause a permission prompt to appear more than expected
- VoiceOver may be unavailable after rebooting
- Addresses an issue where touch input was unresponsive on some iPhone X, iPhone XR, and iPhone 11 displays after being serviced
For a better experience, users are recommended to update their devices to the latest iOS version.
- Download iOS 16.0.2 IPSW firmware files
- Download iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro wallpapers in full resolution
- iOS 16.1 beta 3 and iPadOS 16.1 beta 4 – features and changes
- iOS 16 battery drain: 16 tips to make iPhone last longer
- iOS 16.1 beta 3 brings Adaptive Transparency mode to AirPod Pro (1st -generation)