Today, Facebook has introduced a new virtual tool to connect people on the Messenger app, called ‘ Watch Together’. The new feature is designed to allow users to watch various videos with family, friends, influencers and followers who are in a different part of town, city, state, or country. Watch Together is releasing globally on iOS and Android devices.
This year most social media and video calling apps introduced new ways to keep people virtually connect who were physically separated due to imposed health measures of lockdown and social distancing in the COVID-19. Previously, Facebook launched Messenger Rooms for a group of up to 50 people can have an online hangout. The announcement lists down a few ways in which Watch Together will connect users:
“So go ahead and oooh and ahhh over a video by your favorite celebrity, shed a tear over a puppy rescue video, laugh out loud at the latest viral videos, scream during Blair Witch or feel nostalgic while watching your favorite episode of Community. Watch Together will help you feel together even when you’re not.”
How to Watch Together on Messenger
Integrated with Messenger video calls and Messenger Rooms, Facebook Watch Together will allow users to enjoy the content they like with companions they like. Here is how users can start Watch Together parties on their devices from the comfort of their couches, bedrooms, or anywhere else.
- Begin a video call on Messenger or create a Messenger Room.
- In the call or room UI, swipe up to access the menu and select the Watch Together feature.
- In the Watch Together interface, users can search for any video to watch with a companion, or select any content from the Suggested, TV&Movies, Watched, and Uploaded tabs.
- Users can add up to 8 members on Messenger video call and up to 50 people in Messenger Rooms.
After a while, Facebook is seen introducing new tools of communication on its platform that aren’t copied from another app or the app itself hasn’t been acquired by the company. This new feature is also said to help creators like fitness trainers, DJ, chefs, painters, life coaches by allowing their audience to interact with each other and form an exclusive online community.
For Watch Together, Facebook created a series of fitness videos in partnership with Melissa Alcantara, a celebrity fitness trainer, for viewers to work out with their friends to achieve their activity goals.
“According to a study we conducted in the US, 70% of people who work out with a partner have achieved a fitness goal in the past six months; only 45% of people who work out alone have done the same.”
Users must update their Messenger and Facebook apps to the latest version to have a virtual watch hang out with their family, friends, and community members.
- Facebook launches new Campus section in its app for college students in the U.S.
- Zoom from home on smart displays: Google Nest, Facebook Portal and Amazon Echo
- Instagram is merging Direct Messaging with Facebook Messenger Chat