Alongside software updates for iPhone, iPad, and Mac, Apple will be releasing HomePod software version 15 on September 20. The new software update is currently available as a release candidate for beta testers.
The new update has a bunch of new features including the ability to set up HomePod mini as default speakers for Apple TV 4K, bass level customization, as well as multiple updates for Siri for Apple TV and smart device control. However, this update does not feature support for Lossless and Spatial Audio, which was enabled during the beta testing phase but disabled later on.
HomePod software version 15
Here is the official changelog from Apple for HomePod software version 15:
- Select a single or pair of HomePod mini as the default speakers for your Apple TV 4k for rich room-filling sound and clear dialogue
- Media playback controls automatically appear on your iPhone’s Lock Screen when a HomePod mini
- playing music is nearby
- Set a lower bass level to enjoy music without disturbing the neighbors
- Ask Siri to turn on your Apple TV, start playing a favorite movie, and control playback while you watch
- Siri automatically adjusts its speaking level based on the room environment and volume of the user
- Ask Siri to control smart home devices at a specific time like turning off the lights in 10 minutes
- Extend access to HomePod throughout your home by enabling Siri voice control on compatible HomeKit accessories
- Support for package detection with HomeKit Secure Video
HomePod software version 15 will be available for older HomePod models (which have been discontinued), as well as recent HomePod mini models. We will keep you updated on the launch day for these software updates.