Apple is contributing decisively to the environmental preservation of our planet. The company has set to be 100 percent carbon neutral by 2030 across all aspects of manufacturing, transportation, retail and cooperative operations globally. Therefore, to reduce electronic waste, this year’s iPhone 12 will only ship with their charging cables in the box.
Since the launch of the first iPhone in 2007, this is the first time that the smartphone will not be sold with headphones and a charging adaptor. The Cupertino tech giant followed the same practice for the new Apple Watch Series 6 and Series SE. Apple describes it as,
“We reduced our carbon footprint. By thinking inside the box
Even the little things are a big deal.”
Apple ships a slimmer iPhone 12 Box
In this year’s iPhone box, Apple is shipping the bare minimum to reduce carbon emission in logistics and mining of precious materials for the manufacturing of the products which most users already have.
As per the event’s Keynote, there are already billions of power adaptors and Lighting headphones in the world, therefore, Apple has taken the responsible decision to not ship them in the box anymore which will inherently make it slimmer.
“Across the iPhone family, we’re removing the power adapter and EarPods that often go unused, but including the fast‑charging USB‑C to Lightning cable that most people need.
That shrinks packaging, and more boxes per shipment means fewer shipments overall. We’re also transitioning our manufacturing partners to renewable energy. Altogether, this eliminates over 2 million metric tons of carbon emissions annually.”
Apple’s Environmental Initiatives
With the aim to be 100% carbon neutral, the Cupertino tech giant has already adopted drastic environment-friendly practices.
- Use of 100 percent recycled and renewable material in all products.
- Clean energy to power corporate offices, data centers, and Apple Stores worldwide.
- Investment in Nature rehabilitation like forests, wetlands, and grasslands.
Read the company’s commitment to the planet’s well-being in detail here.
- iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max announced: 5G, LiDAR Scanner, A14 Bionic chip and more
- The new HomePod mini is equipped with low-power Thread networking technology
- MagSafe accessories for iPhone announced: charger, cases, wallet, and MagSafe Duo