Apple recently revealed its plans to become carbon neutral across all its supply chains and products by 2030. The company is currently carbon neutral for all its global operations and its newest commitment claims that by the end of this decade, every Apple device sold will have minimal to zero climate impact.
The company is providing detail on its approach to carbon neutrality with a roadmap for its industries and other companies to reduce their overall impact on climate change. The 2020 Environmental Progress Report shows Apple’s detailed plans to reduce emissions by 75% and work towards developing innovative carbon removal solutions for the rest of the 25% carbon footprint.
Apple’s CEO Tim Cook states:
“Businesses have a profound opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, one born of our common concern for the planet we share. The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet — they’ve helped us make our products more energy efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online around the world. Climate action can be the foundation for a new era of innovative potential, job creation, and durable economic growth. With our commitment to carbon neutrality, we hope to be a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change.”
Apple’s efforts for carbon neutrality
The company is establishing an Impact Accelerator with the primary focus of investing in minority-owned businesses which are likely to have positive outcomes and adding them to its supply chains. The accelerator is a part of Apple’s $100 million Racial Equity and Justice Initiative that focuses on economic equality, racism, criminal justice reform, and community education.
The unfinished work of racial justice and equality call us all to account. Things must change, and Apple's committed to being a force for that change. Today, I'm proud to announce Apple’s Racial Equity and Justice Initiative, with a $100 million commitment. pic.twitter.com/AoYafq2xlp
— Tim Cook (@tim_cook) June 11, 2020
Lisa Jackson, Apple’s vice president of environment, policy, and social initiatives, describes the roadmap as:
“We’re proud of our environmental journey and the ambitious roadmap we have set for the future. Systemic racism and climate change are not separate issues, and they will not abide by separate solutions. We have a generational opportunity to help build a greener and more just economy, one where we develop whole new industries in the pursuit of giving the next generation a planet worth calling home.”
The 10-year roadmap will include several innovative actions and adjustments to lower the overall emissions and carbon footprint. The company will make use of low carbon product design, renewable energy resources, expand energy efficiency, and process the material for its product designs for minimum carbon content.
The tech giant engages with NGOs, businesses, consumers, and governments all around the globe to support policies and innovative ideas that help on strengthening the environmental protection and transition to clean energy as a vital component for climate change. Apple will continue to invest in nature-based solutions to remove carbon footprint from the atmosphere and hopefully fulfill its commitment to go carbon neutral by the end of this decade.
Learn more about Apple’s efforts here.