According to an analyst note on the next-gen MacBook Air, the 2022 MacBook Air featuring mini-LED with be launched with various colors alongside an updated form factor that will match the design of the upcoming 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro.
According to TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the upcoming MacBook Air will feature an “all-new design” with a similar form factor as the upcoming MacBook Pro models, which are also expected to feature a mini-LED display, and flatter top and bottom edges. The new MacBook Air will also consist of a faster Apple Silicon chip and a MagSafe-branded magnetic power cable.
Kuo: MacBook Air to launch in mid-2022, same design as MacBook Pro’s, and with various color options
There have been many rumors circulating in the industry regarding the next-gen MacBook Air, however, from Kuo’s note the only new information that can be highlighted is the prediction that the laptop will be launched in mid-2022 with a variety of colors and fresh hardware design.
Kuo also mentions that BOE will become the Cupertino tech giant’s new supplier for mini-LED display tech. After debuting on the 2021 12.9-inch iPad Pro, the tech giant is expected to bring the same to the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro variants that will arrive soon. Moreover, LG will be supplying mini-LED displays for the upcoming MacBook Pro models.
For the hardware, the MacBook Air will include more squared-off edges like the current iPad Pro design. However, it is still unclear if that will mean the end of the tapered Mac design or if that could co-exist with the squared-off edges.
Furthermore, Kuo says that it is uncertain if the existing M1 MacBook Air will be present around the launch of the new model but pegs total MacBook Air shipments in 2022 to hit 8 million or higher. The projection is up from 6 million shipments for 2021.
- 14-inch and 16-inch M1X MacBook Pros have entered mass production
- Apple Silicon roadmap includes MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro – on track for November 2022
- Screens of some M1 MacBook Air and Pro models are cracking and Apple is blaming the owners
- Larger redesigned M1 iMac will not be released this year, possibly in an effort to drive up M1X MacBook Pro sales
- A mini-LED MacBook Air model will arrive in 2022
- New M1X MacBook Pro models will launch between September and November – Bloomberg