Night Vision is a new app from Sperry Labs that is made for iPhone and iPad models with LiDAR. The app uses LiDAR, and both front and back cameras to allow a user to see their surroundings in the dark.
The app is made for fourth-generation iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max. The app uses LiDAR in the back camera and the infrared sensor in the TrueDepth camera in the front.
Night Vision app allows iPhones to see in the dark using LiDAR
LiDAR scanner was introduced with the new iPhone 12 Pro line-up in October. It is used primarily for augmented reality experiences. The sensor also allows users to measure a person’s height instantly via the Measure app. LiDAR also helps the iPhone to better understand the users’ surroundings as well as offer development frameworks and new learning capabilities.
Night Vision app uses the LiDAR Scanner to see in the dark. It uses the scanner’s technology to identify surrounding objects or people. A depth map appears when a user opens the app, and the colors shown are not normal ones and do not exist in the dark. The app uses different saturation of colors and mixes them with some crazy math to try and create contrast between each object. The result is that users can see in the dark with a two-dimensional screen with no light or color.
Sperry Labs’ Night Vision enables a few applications, including:
- Users can learn about depth maps and also see without light.
- Show off your new phone capabilities.
- See in the dark without turning the flashlight on.
- Explore how infrared and LiDAR technology works.
The app is available in the App Store for $0.99. There is also a YouTube video that explains the whole process, you can see it below. Let us know in the comments if you have used the Night Vision app and how was your experience.
- Facebook launches ad campaign against Apple’s ATT privacy feature coming in 2021
- macOS Big Sur 11.1 update enables full-screen iPhone and iPad apps on M1 Macs
- Apple TV Plus releases teaser trailer for ‘Billie Eilish: The World’s A Little Blurry