In 2019, Today at Apple team in UK successfully collaborated with Mayor of London to form Made in LDN program to provide opportunities, assistance, platform to youth to pursue career in UK music industry. This year in collaboration with Spotlight, on August 28 Today at Apple hosted the virtual Final Showcase of Music Survival.
Music Survival is a free online creative program for the aspiring young artists who want to sing, compose or produce music. The program’s description reads,
“Dive headfirst into the music industry world on this exclusive programme. With sessions covering everything from building your artist reputation and the secrets of the A&R manager to crafting lyrics and montaging music videos, this is your chance to learn from the experts.
And in the final session, you’ll have the unique opportunity to showcase YOUR music to industry professionals, including singer and producer Kali Claire.”
Music Survival in collaboration with Today at Apple
Curated by DJ Carly Wilford, this year young musicians were engaged in virtual workshops, panel discussions and conversations with established artists in UK music industry to improve their skills and focused on various artistic forms like music, the spoken word, podcasts, production design and more.
“The young Londoners involved worked alongside inspirational UK artists including Aitch, Cuppy, SG Lewis and many more, who gave them the skills and confidence to produce exciting, new work in music and other creative areas crucial to make it in the industry. Made in LDN is created by Today at Apple in partnership with the Mayor of London.”
In the online finale, selected creators got two minutes each to present their creative projects to not only the judges but also to the world for the event was streamed live on YouTube.
In 2017, the iPhone maker introduced Today at Apple at The forum in the Apple Stores around the world is a dedicated spot to host various sessions to facilitate learning and creativity with emphasis on music where renowned creators like musicians and artists to not only exhibit their skills but also teach the audience.
The following sessions are offered by Today at Apple
- Art skills: sketching ideas in notes
- video skills: story telling with clips
- Photo skills: editing techniques
- Coding skills: drum patterns with GarageBand
- Heath + Fitness skills: getting started with the health app
- Art walk: discovering color
- video walk: manipulating time
- photo walk: taking portraits on location
- Music walk: creating soundscapes with GarageBand
- Health + Fitness walk: staying motivated co-created with Jeanetter Jenkins
- Design lab: drawing treehouses co-created with Forster + Partners
- Video lab: small screen magic co-created with Zach King
- Photo lab for kids: fun family portraits
- App lab: developing an App concept
- Music lab: beat making co-created with Swizz Beatz
Currently, as the precautionary health measures due to COVID-19 pandemic Today at Apple sessions are suspended.