With the release of iOS 4.0.2, you can’t jailbreak most iDevices anymore except for iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 2G (non-MC models) and recently iPhone 3GS with old bootrom using custom firmware by Kaatje which isn’t out yet. We’ve prepared a simple guide on how you can jailbreak iPhone 3G with iOS 4.0.2 using the latest redsn0w release.
- Download iOS 4.0.2 and iOS 4 for your iPhone 3G. Place it on your desktop for easy access.
- Download redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 [link at the end]. It’s available for both Mac and Windows.
- Download and install iTunes 9.2.1.
- Now connect your iPhone 3G to your computer and using iTunes, upgrade to iOS 4.0.2. This can be done using iTunes as described here.
- Now that you have iOS 4.0.2 on your iPhone 3G, you’ll have to jailbreak it by using iOS 4.0 (NOT iOS 4.0.2) with redsn0w 0.9.5 Beta 5. Click browse and point it to iOS 4 firmware and follow the instructions on the screen. [Vista users might need to run redsn0w as administrator]
- Once you’re done and the iPhone reboots, you should have a jailbroken iPhone 3G.
- To unlock your iPhone 3G, follow this guide here.
- If you want to enable/disable multitasking or background wallpapers on your iPhone 3G, use zToggle. We don’t recommend it though as it will suck the performance and battery out of your iPhone.
Download redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 for Windows
Download redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 for Mac
If you run into any issues or have any questions, put them in the comments below and we’ll be glad to help you out!