Today, Apple celebrated the hard work and craftsmanship of 15 developers with the App Store Best of 2020 award. The company’s first-ever physical award is given to those developers who built “exceptional” apps across all products in a time of global health crisis, COVID-19. Apple writes,
“Apple today presented its App Store Best of 2020 winners, recognizing 15 apps and games that proved to be essential for making life easier, healthier, and more connected this year. Notable for their high quality, creative design, usability, and innovative technology, these apps and games are equally celebrated for their positive cultural impact, helpfulness, and importance.”
Every year, Apple honors developers with outstanding App Store apps with an award. However, this year the company is giving physical awards for the first time. The elegant YouTube button like the Apple Store icon is created by Apple’s designers and made out of 100% recycled aluminum with the winner’s name engraved on its back.
App Store Best of 2020 Winners
Here are the winners in different categories across Apple products.
- Fitness app: Wakeout! developed by Andres Canella for iPhone.
- Game of the year: Genshin Impact from miHoYo
- App of the year: Endel
- App of the year: Zoom
- Game of the year: Legends of Runeterra from Riot Games
- App of the year: Fantastical by Flexibits
- Game of the year: Disco Elysium from ZA/UM
- App of the year: Disney+
- Game of the year: Dandara Trials of Fear from Raw Fury
- Game of the year: Sneaky Sasquatch from RAC7
App Trend of the Year
- Shine for self-care
- Caribu for connection families
- Pokémon GO for reinventing the way to play
- ShareTheMeal for making a difference
- Explain Everything Whiteboard for remote learning
To explain the company’s criteria for App Store Best of 2020 awards, Apple Fellow, Phil Schiller said,
“This year, more than ever before, some of our most creative and connected moments happened in apps. This was thanks to the amazing work of developers who introduced fresh, helpful app experiences throughout the year. Around the world, we saw remarkable efforts from so many developers, and these Best of 2020 winners are 15 outstanding examples of that innovation. From helping us stay fit and mindful, to keeping our children’s education on track, to helping fight hunger, their impact was meaningful to so many of us.”
In a year unlike any other, developers have amazed us with new ways to keep us connected, entertained, active and healthy. Congratulations to the incredible app and game creators behind the @AppStore Best of 2020! https://t.co/duY64VGtmw pic.twitter.com/b98OkoGYXa
— Tim Cook (@tim_cook) December 2, 2020
YouTuber iJustine chatted with some of the winning developers and to know about the concepts behind the apps and how they are making a difference in the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Apple reduces App Store cut to 15% for developers who earn less than $1 million per year
- Apple hires venture capitalist Josh Elman to improve App Store discovery