Packed with exciting new features and improvements, the new iOS 15 will be a powerful software update that will elevate the iPhone experience by 10 folds. Along with new capabilities for Notifications, Messages, Photos, and other apps, Apple has also updated its navigation tool, Apple Maps.
As announced at the WWDC21 event, iOS 15 will take Apple Maps’ to two new regions, Spain and Portugal, making it available in six countries (U.S, UK, Canada, and Ireland). Apple also said that Apple Maps will be available in Italy and Australia by the end of this year. In addition to the expansion, the navigation tool is redesigned to an entirely new level to offer more detailed routes and landmarks, a new night mode with a moonlit glow, an immersive 3-D experience, and more. Here is the list of everything new in Apple Maps.
iOS 15 transforms the way to explore cities via Apple Maps
Apple has redesigned Apple Maps to offer a completely new way to look at the world, particularly cities.
New 3-D Interactive Globe
- Rich details of oceans, forests, mountain ranges, and other landforms.
All New City Experience
- Enhanced details in cities for neighborhoods, buildings, commercial districts, and elevation.
- New road colors and labels.
- Custom-designed landmarks.
- New night-time mode with a moonlight glow.
New Driving Features with an immersive 3-D experience
- iPhone and CarPlay users will enjoy the new 3-D city navigation experience with new road details to help users see routes better by viewing lanes, make exits, bike, bus, and taxi lanes, medians, pedestrian crosswalks, and complex intersections.
Immersive Walking Instructions
- For iPhone users looking for places on foot, Apple Maps will offer a new Augmented Reality 3-D immersive walking directions by generating highly accurate positions to show details of routes to buildings, streets, parks, and other places.
- The feature will be available in London, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco Bay Area, and Washington DC.
New transit Features
- Transit riders will be able to easily find nearby stations and pin favorite lines to the top.
- Apple Maps will automatically follow the selected transit route and notify the user when it’s time to disembark.
- Users will be able to keep track of their route on the Apple Watch.
Redesigned Place Cards
- All new-place cards to easily find information like “businesses, explore details about cities, and learn about physical features like mountain ranges.
- More precise and filtered search of restaurants by cuisine, delivery options, and more.
- Users will have the option to only see the places that would be open at that moment, in real-time.
- Apple Maps will automatically update search results when users will move the map while searching.
New Editorially Curated Guides Home
- A completely refreshed editorially curated guides list to easily discover great places.
Create User Profile
- Users will be able to find important and frequently need travel information in one place, their profile. Their settings, mode of transit, favorite places, reported issues and other information will be easily available.