Apple has seeded fifth developer betas of watchOS 7 and tvOS 14. The latest beta updates for Apple Watch and Apple TV have been released just two weeks after the release of the fourth developer betas of the operating systems. watchOS 7 and tvOS 14 were announced at the WWDC 2020 event in June and are scheduled to release for the public in fall this year.
As the public release of the software updates is coming closer, the new beta updates predominantly focus on bug fixes and performance improvements. Registered developers with the Apple Developers Program can easily update their devices via Settings. Interested developers can sign-up for the program for $99 per year. Having said that, it is not advised to install a beta version of the operating system because the software is in an unstable phase and may contain bugs that could brick the device or result in loss of data.
To update Apple Watch to the latest beta version of watchOS 7, go to Settings app> General> Software update. Users need to make sure that their Apple Watch has 50% battery and is placed on a charger and must be within the range of the iPhone. Apple TV can be download through a profile that is installed via Apple’s Xcode software.
watchOS 7 beta
The new watchOS 7 is redesigned to bring many new features and functionality to the Apple Watch. We listed some of the new features are discovered in the beta version of the operating system:
- Native sleep tracking app which works via the detection of micro-movements from the watch’s accelerometer to show respiration during sleep.
- Redesigned Fitness app which was previously called the Activity app. The app now offers concise information of workouts, daily activity and awards in one tab, and activity sharing and activity competitions on another.
- New workouts types: core training, dance, functional strength training, and cool down.
- New hearing feature is designed to educate users on how loudly they listen to music or play sounds on their headphones or AirPods. This feature monitors and shows the impact of loud volume over a longer time and suggests users to turn down volume via notifications.
- Hand wash detection feature listens for the sound of running water and automatically displays a 20 seconds count down to wash hands thoroughly.
tvOS 14 beta
Users can expect to see the following new features on tvOS 14:
- Picture-in-picture video playback will allow users to watch two different video streams simultaneously like a workout video while watching a music video.
- 4K resolution support for Youtube videos.
- Multi-users gameplay for Apple Arcade with controllers support for game nights with friends and family.