Apple has released iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 beta 5 to developers. The updates are available for download as over-the-air software updates, and downloads from Apple Developer Center, for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 Beta 5
The previous betas were released 2 weeks ago. Apple has been steadily releasing betas with various bug fixes, performance improvements and tweaks to new features. The company will release a few more betas until it releases the public version next month to all users.
Here is quick summary of the new features coming in iOS 14 and iPadOS 14:
- Widgets on home screen
- App library for improved app organization
- Siri redesign
- Picture-in-picture video playback on iPhone
- Updates to Messages including new memoji stickers and personalization options. Users can also pin favorite chats at the top of the Messages app. Users can also tag other users in a group chat, and reply to individual messages.
- Apple Maps now supports EV routing, cycling routes and more.
- New Translate app will allow users to translate between 11 languages offline. The translation app will also allow users to translate webpages in Safari.
- CarPlay now supports wallpapers, and new app categories.
- Digital CarKey support will allow users to unlock their cars using NFC. The digital carkeys will also support sharing with family members.
- App Clips will let users quickly download part of an app to use it, by scanning a code.
We will cover the new features and bug fixes in beta 5 in a separate post.
Download iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 beta 5
If you already had a prior iOS 14 or iPadOS 14 developer beta installed, simply go to Settings > General > Software Update on your device to download the latest version. If you are not enrolled in the developer beta program, you will need to sign up to Apple Developer Center. This will let you download both the full IPSW firmware files, as well as the configuration profile, which will let you download the update over-the-air.