Apple has stopped signing iOS 15.3, which means that downgrades to iOS 15.3.1 and older versions of iOS are no longer possible. iOS 15.3 was released in January with a security fix, while iOS 15.3.1 was released last week with bug fixes and a security patch.
iOS 15.3 no longer signed by Apple
As Apple has stopped signing iOS 15.3, it means that users can not downgrade to the software version anymore. If an iPhone or iPad needs to be restored, it will be upgraded to iOS 15.3.1, which is the latest stable iOS version at the time of writing. It shipped with a bug fix for non-responsive Braille displays, and a security fix for a WebKit flaw that may have been actively exploited.
Apple regularly stops signing older versions of iOS whenever new updates are released. This pushes users to stay up to date with the latest version of iOS and ensures that they have the current security updates.
This practice also discourages jailbreaking as users who jailbreak their devices are not able to upgrade to a new iOS release immediately. Unless a jailbreak is available for the newer iOS update, users have to either stay on an older version of the operating system or give up their jailbreak and upgrade.
Apple is currently beta testing iOS 15.4 with developers and public beta testers. The update is being tested with the following new features and changes:
- iOS 15.4 beta adds 37 new emoji including saluting face, biting lip, heart hands and more
- iOS 15.4 beta adds support for unlocking with Face ID while wearing a mask
- Universal Control is finally available in macOS 12.3 beta and iPadOS 15.4 beta
- iOS 15.4 allows third-party apps to fully utilize 120Hz ProMotion display on iPhone 13 Pro
- iOS 15.4 beta gains support for Custom Email Domains via iCloud+ subscription
- iOS 15.4 features a ‘Cosmetic Scan’ trade-in tool for iPhone
- iOS 15.4 beta confirms Apple News app is adding sports scores and favorite team selection
- iOS 15.4 beta adds option to disable Shortcuts automation notifications
- iOS 15.4 beta 2 contains code for the upcoming “Tap to Pay” feature in the U.S.
- iOS 15.4 beta 2 re-enables “Improve Siri & Dictation” for all users
- Apple Podcasts app on iOS 15.4 beta 3 gains new browsing filter options
- iOS 15.4 beta 3 prompts iPhone users to “Review Emergency SOS”
- iOS 15.4 beta 3 adds the ability to save passwords with user name for iCloud Keychain
- Download iOS 15.3.1 and iPadOS 15.3.1 IPSW firmware files
- How to install iOS 15.4 beta on iPhone
- How to install iPadOS 15.4 beta on iPad