Apple recently seeded iOS 15.4 beta 2 to developers and beta users and the latest update includes the code for the new “Tap to Pay” feature. The upcoming contactless payment feature, first reported by Bloomberg and later announced by Apple, will turn compatible iPhones into payment terminals to accept payments via Apple Pay, contactless credit/debit cards, or other digital wallets via a simple tap.
More importantly, the “Tap to Pay” feature will remove the requirement of additional hardware to make contactless payments. Currently, payment terminals like Block Inc.’s Square are required to accept contactless payments that need to be plugged in or have a Bluetooth connection.
“Tap to Pay” feature on iOS 15.4 beta 2 includes support reward passes and refunds and more
MacRumors‘ Steve Moser discovered the upcoming payment feature on iOS 15.4 beta 2 which is not functional and visible to users as it requires third-party providers to add support. But the code contains the new “PaymentReceived” sound file and images of the “Tap to Pay” interface.
He also found “ContactlessReaderUIService” in the iOS 15.4 beta 2 code which includes the alerts users will see and support for reward passes and refunds.
- iPhone ready to accept a contactless payment.
- Hold your card or device to the seller’s iPhone and wait for the success sound.
- To accept contactless payments, turn on NFC and try again.
- The payment timed out for your security. Try again when you are ready to accept a payment.
- Multiple reward passes applied
- Pay %@ %@
- Refund from %@ for %@”
- Try Again & Hold Card Longer
- Use your iPhone to accept payments from contactless credit and debit cards, Apple Pay, or any other contactless payment devices.
When the feature will launch in iOS 15.4, it will be available on iPhone XS and newer iPhone models. Apple says that millions of businesses across the U.S. will be able to enhance their commerce experience with the new “Tap to Pay” system. Billy Alvarado, Stripe’s chief business officer said:
“Whether you’re a salesperson at an internet-first retailer or an individual entrepreneur, you can soon accept contactless payments on a device that’s already in your pocket: your iPhone. With Tap to Pay on iPhone, millions of businesses using Stripe can enhance their in-person commerce experience by offering their customers a fast and secure checkout.”
- How to install iOS 15.4 beta on iPhone
- iOS 15.4 beta adds option to disable Shortcuts automation notifications
- iOS 15.4 beta confirms Apple News app is adding sports scores and favorite team selection