Apple unveiled the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max in September with a lighter and more durable titanium frame, the latest A17 Pro chip, a display with thinner bezels, an advanced camera system, a USB-C connector with USB 3 speeds, and much more.
Google also unveiled its flagship Google Pixel 8 Pro on October 4, 2023, at a hardware event in San Francisco. The phone features a new design with a polished look and softer silhouettes, the latest Google Tensor G3 processor, a 6.7-inch Super Actua display, and more.
Here is a comparison of both flagship smartphones to see which one is better.
Table of Contents
Google Pixel 8 Pro vs iPhone 15 Pro: Specs and features comparison
|Specs||Google Pixel 8 Pro||iPhone 15 Pro|
|Display||6.7-inch Super Actua display with a 120Hz refresh rate||6.1-inch OLED display with a 120Hz refresh rate|
|Processor||Google Tensor G3||A17 Pro|
|Storage||128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB||128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB|
|Camera system||50MP main camera, 12MP ultrawide camera, and 48MP telephoto camera with 10x optical zoom||48MP main camera, 12MP ultrawide camera, and 12MP telephoto camera with 5x optical zoom|
|Front-facing camera||10.5MP with autofocus||12MP with TrueDepth|
|Charging||Fast charging, Qi wireless charging||Fast charging, MagSafe wireless charging|
|Operating system||Android 14||iOS 17|
|Color||Obsidian, Porcelain, Bay||Black Titanium, White Titanium, Blue Titanium, Natural Titanium|
|Price||Starting at $899||Starting at $999|
Google Pixel 8 Pro vs iPhone 15 Pro: Which has better design, display, and camera
We compared the Google Pixel 8 Pro against the iPhone 15 Pro to see which smartphone offers better features and value. The two phones are compared in terms of design, display, performance, camera, and price.
The Google Pixel 8 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro have the same slab design language but different finishes, and features.
- The Pixel 8 Pro is rumored to have a metal frame with a glass back. It is also expected to have a hole-punch cutout for the front-facing camera, similar to the Pixel 7 Pro.
- iPhone 15 Pro has a titanium body, USB-C port, and hole-punch pill-shaped notch for the front-facing camera.
In terms of which design is better, I feel like the iPhone 15 has a more premium and clean design while the Pixel 8 Pro has a more minimalist design.
The iPhone 15 Pro and the Google Pixel 8 Pro are powered by different chips.
- The iPhone 15 Pro runs on Apple’s A17 Pro chip, which delivers a 20% increase in performance, two performance cores, and a Neural Engine that is twice as fast as its predecessor.
- On the other hand, the Google Pixel 8 Pro runs on the Tensor 3 chip.
As Tensor chips have historically lagged behind Apple’s chips in terms of performance, it is expected that this trend will continue this year as well.
The Pixel 8 Pro has a versatile camera system with a 5x optical zoom lens. Although the iPhone 15 Pro has a more powerful main camera sensor and a wider ultrawide camera, it features up to 3x optical zoom.
The Pixel 8 Pro has a better camera than the iPhone 15 Pro. Its ultrawide and telephoto cameras have more megapixels, and it offers a 5x zoom compared to the iPhone’s 3x zoom. Google’s AI editing and manual controls make it even better. Overall, the Pixel 8 Pro provides a superior camera experience.
Having said that overall, both camera systems are excellent and should be able to take great photos and videos in most conditions.
The Pixel 8 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro both have higher 120Hz refresh rates. So, it is difficult to say definitively which phone has the better scrolling experience, as both Google and Apple are known for using high-quality components. However, there are a few things to consider when comparing the two displays.
If you’re looking for a bigger display for watching streaming content or for aesthetic appeal, the Pixel 8 Pro might be a better choice than the iPhone 15 Pro, thanks to its 6.7-inch screen. Moreover, the Pixel 8 Pro has a brighter display with 2,400 nits compared to the iPhone’ 15 Pro’s 2000 nits, making it particularly useful for outdoor use in direct sunlight.
It is difficult to say definitively which phone has better battery life, as both Google and Apple are known for optimizing their software and hardware for efficiency. However, there are a few things to consider when comparing the two phones:
- Battery capacity: The Pixel 8 Pro has a 5,050mAh battery, while the iPhone 15 Pro has a 4,422mAh battery. This means that the Pixel 8 Pro has a larger battery, which could potentially lead to better battery life.
- Power efficiency: Both the Pixel 8 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro use efficient processors, but the Pixel 8 Pro uses a Google Tensor G3 chip, which is designed for power efficiency. This could give the Pixel 8 Pro an edge in terms of battery life.
- Software optimization: Both Google and Apple are known for optimizing their software for their hardware, so we can say both the Pixel 8 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro have good battery life. However, Google has a history of delivering better battery life than Apple, especially on Pixel phones with larger batteries.
Overall, it is likely that both the Pixel 8 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro will have good battery life.
The Google Pixel 8 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro are both excellent flagship smartphones with different strengths and weaknesses. The Pixel 8 Pro has a modern design, a larger screen, a versatile camera setup, and a longer-lasting battery. In contrast, the iPhone 15 Pro features a more powerful processor, a wider selection of compatible accessories, and a more durable build.
If you are looking for a phone with a minimalist design, a large display with LTPO technology, and a better telephoto lens, with longer battery life then the Pixel 8 Pro is the better choice. If you are looking for a phone with a more premium design, an Always-On display with Dolby Vision support, and a better ultrawide camera, then the iPhone 15 Pro is the better choice.