iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models have a new camera feature called Action mode that is used for video capture with super-smooth stabilization. Apple claims that using Action mode removes the need for using a gimbal.
Action mode in iPhone 14
We have our first look at this feature in action, outside of Apple’s own videos, by tech reporter Rich DeMuro, who was at the event and recorded a video in Action mode using an iPhone 14 Pro.
Action Mode on the iPhone 14 Pro pic.twitter.com/z1vjYs52Cx
— Rich DeMuro (@richontech) September 7, 2022
As the video shows, even though Rich is walking with the iPhone 14 Pro, it seems as if a gimbal is being used for smooth movement. Even panning the phone around provides completely smooth footage.
Both iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro feature second-generation sensor-shift optical image stabilization, which helps with smooth image and video capture. However, Action mode goes one step ahead and utilizes the larger sensor to crop the center of the video and remove any shakes and vibrations.
Here is how Apple explains the new feature:
A new Action mode for incredibly smooth-looking video that adjusts to significant shakes, motion, and vibrations, even when video is being captured in the middle of the action.
The only potential drawback of this feature is that the video is cropped a lot.
- iPhone 14 and AirPods Pro 2 support Bluetooth 5.3, but LE Audio support not confirmed
- All iPhone 14 models feature 6GB of RAM
- iPhone 14 vs. iPhone 13: battery life comparison
- AppleCare+ for iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max subscription fees
- AppleCare+ for iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus subscription fees
- Apple introduces two new finishes for iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max: Space Black and Deep Purple
- iPhone 14 series widens the gap between standard and Pro models
- Here is how the new iPhone 14 Pro “magical” Dynamic Island works
- iPhone 14 Pro’s 48MP camera system enables improved low-light performance, new Action mode, and much more
- iPhone 14 lineup offers Emergency SOS via satellite, eliminating the need for cellular or Wi-Fi
- iPhone 14 lineup ditches the SIM card for eSIM technology in the U.S.
- iPhone 14 Pro tidbits: thickness, brighter display, autofocus, 4K Cinematic mode, Emergency SOS via satellite cost and more
- iPhone 14 Pro benchmarks: A16 is up to 15% faster than iPhone 13 Pro