WhatsApp is working on a new update for its iOS app which will add a new notification for when a person is mentioned in a group chat. This will be similar to the current notification that users get when they receive a reply in a group chat.
WhatsApp now shows a notification when someone mentions you in a group
As noted by WABetaInfo, the new notification is currently available for WhatsApp beta users. For those keeping track, the beta version is 22.1.71. These new notifications are limited to group chats and do not show for individual chat messages.
WABetaInfo has shared the below screenshot of the feature which shows how the replies show for group chats, compared to how the new mentions show for group chats.
The feature is currently rolling out to beta testers. It is likely that WhatsApp will release it to all users in a few weeks after testing if it makes the cut.
It is unclear whether this feature is limited to just iOS, or if the update will also be available for Android users, as well as desktop users on Windows and Mac.
WhatsApp also has a bunch of other new features and changes currently in testing, while othersare available as new updates for all users. Check out our ongoing coverage below:
- WhatsApp releases new “profile photos in notifications” on iOS 15
- WhatsApp working on animated heart emojis for iOS
- WhatsApp to add a new ‘Community’ feature on iOS
- WhatsApp testing a new “Undo” feature for status updates on iOS
- WhatsApp is working on new Reactions feature for iOS
- WhatsApp updates Disappearing Messages feature with new duration options and more
- WhatsApp testing new voice waveforms for chat bubbles on iOS and Android
- WhatsApp on the web gains a built-in Sticker Maker
- WhatsApp working on iPad and Mac apps with macOS Catalyst
- WhatsApp launches multi-device support on iOS and Android