Microsoft’s second feature drop, Moment 3, for Windows 11 is here with an improved Widgets Board, Taskbar updates, and more.
Moments are updates that enable the Windows team to roll out new features and improvements as soon as they are ready outside major releases. It is known as “feature drop” updates for mobile devices.
Windows 11 Moment 3 also brings a new Win32 app isolation feature
Microsoft has announced the release of Moment 3, starting May 24, 2023. The second feature drop brings updates to the Widgets Board which has a new layout that separates the widgets and the MSN feed. In addition to separated widgets and the MSN feed, there is also a new “watch” tab for MSN videos and a new widget picker experience, which makes adding widgets to the Widgets Board much easier.
Additionally, Windows 11 gets a new Win32 app isolation feature that allows users to run Win32 apps in an isolated environment, which means that the apps will not be able to access the rest of the system, including the registry, files, and other apps. This helps to protect the system from malware and other security threats.
Note that the update is available as optional, so users will have to go to Settings > Windows Update, check for available updates, and then install the release. Microsoft will push the “Moment 3” update to all users on June 13, 2023, or the next Patch Tuesday.
Check out the official announcement post detailing the new features of Windows 11. Here are the highlights:
- Taskbar and notification improvements: new VPN indicator and a button for copying 2FA codes from notifications.
- Live Kernel Memory Dump in Task Manager.
- Content Adaptive Brightness Control or (CABC) improvements to make your laptop or tablet last longer.
- Multitasking improvements that now let you display more Edge tabs when you press Alt + Tab.
- Changes for one of the oldest methods of taking screenshots. Intriguing!
- Accessibility Improvements to make the OS more convenient for people with physical limitations.
- An updated Widgets Board layout and pinning experience
- New animated Taskbar weather icons.
- Bing AI button in the Taskbar search bar.
- 2FA code recognition in notifications.
- Show clock seconds in the system tray.
- Glanceable VPN status icon in the Taskbar.
- Various improvements to Voice Access.
- Support for more languages in the live captions feature.
- Updated touch keyboard settings.
- Cloud suggestions in Simplified Chinese IME.
- USB4 settings page.
- Search box will be lighter when app mode is set to light.
- Access keys in File Explorer.
- Create live kernel dumps in Task Manager.
- Settings search is faster.
- New presence sensing settings.
- Win32 app isolation feature (preview).
- Windows 365 boot (preview).
- Multiple fixes and minor changes across the operating system.