On Friday AppleInsider reported that Apple will unveil their new MacBook Air on Wednesday in their upcoming media event. They mentioned that the device will have a display of 11.6 inch and Apple will use traditional hard drive for MacBook Air. Now more details are surfacing about the new MacBook Air and there is also a leaked image of the device. AppleInsider claims that 11.6-inch MacBook Air will not replace the 13-inch device as 13.3-inch model will also be available.
Here are some new details that AppleInsider has provided:
- The 11.6-inch MacBook Air won’t replace the 13.3-inch model, but will instead complement it as a more aggressively-priced option.
- Both the new 11.6- and 13.3-inch models sport matching outfits in the form of new, all-unibody designs and single button trackpads.
- The port door found on the existing MacBook Air is gone from the new designs, which feature a port layout similar to the existing MacBook Pros.
- The new “SSD card” storage is based off an SATA connection.
- The base component of both models is just slightly thicker than a standard USB port at its thickest point.
AppleInsider believes that the photo posted by Engadget is the prototype of new 13.3 inch MacBook Air and the architecture of this model and the 11.6 inch model will almost be same. We can also find out many other details from the image:
- The new SSD card-based storage sits above and to the left of the new battery chamber, which appears to include 4 separate battery components.
- The unit has dual USB ports, one on each side
- Other I/O include a MagSafe power adapter, mini DisplayPort, and SD card reader
- The prototype from April is running the same 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo SL9400 processor found in the current generation MacBook Air
- It also has 2GB of memory as standard
- Bus speed clocks in at 1.07GHz
- The unit identifies itself as MacBook Air 3,1