The jailbreak for iPod Touch OS 3.1.2 is finally here, and from none other than George Hotz who has been jailbreaking the iPhone since it was first launched. Called blackra1n, this Windows only jailbreak tool works for all iPhones ( 2G, 3G, and 3GS ) as well as iPod Touch 2G and 3G.
Warning 3G and 3GS unlockers, do not upgrade to 3.1.2 using iTunes if you want to keep your unlock. Baseband cannot be downgraded. Check out the dev team’s offerings. Also blackra1n doesn’t hacktivate.
Jailbreak your iPod Touch using blackra1n
- Upgrade to OS 3.1.2 via iTunes. It’s free if you were already using 3.0 on iPod Touch otherwise you’ll have to buy it.
- Once your iPod Touch has upgraded to 3.1.2, download blackra1n. Use Windows XP compatibility mode if you’re using Windows Vista or Windows 7.
- Launch the tool, and click the ‘make it ra1n’ button.
- It’ll take some time while your iPod Touch is jailbroken. You’ll see George’s picture, which means it’s working. After it’s down, it’ll restart.
- You should see the blackra1n icon in your apps now. Launch it.
- From here, you can install Cydia, which lets you install jailbreak applications. There is an option to install Rock or Icy as well, which are Cydia alternatives.
- Congratulations, you have your iPod Touch 3.1.2 jailbreak up and running.
blackra1n isn’t available for OS X yet but expect it soon. If you have any questions, leave them in the comments below.
UPDATE: If your device doesn’t boot again, don’t panic. Just re-run blackra1n while the device is plugged in.
UPDATE 2: Check out the new blog post to fix your issues with jailbreaking iPod Touch.
UPDATE 3: blackra1n for Mac has been released!
UPDATE 4: blackra1n RC2 has been released and contains fixes for many issues.
Important: iPhone OS 3.1.3 has been released for the iPhone and iPod Touch. We’ve got a new guide up on how to jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 and iPod Touch 3.1.3 with redsn0w 0.9.4. Don’t upgrade to iPhone OS 3.1.3 if you’re using an unlocked iPhone 3G/3Gs or a jailbroken iPod Touch 2G (MC Model)/3G. The redsn0w guide is for iPhone 2G/3G jailbreak and iPod Touch 1G/2G ( non MC Models) only.
Here’s an alternate method: How to jailbreak iPod Touch firmware 3.1.2 with Sn0wbreeze
Update 5: Use this guide to jailbreak all iPod Touch models with OS 3.1.2/3.1.3 untethered using Spirit Jailbreak!