In 2020, Apple acquired the popular weather app Dark Sky which offers hyperlocal weather information like down-to-the-minute forecasts. Although the company regularly updated the Dark Sky app, it had planned to shut it down on iOS on January 1, 2023.
With only a couple of weeks left in its official shutdown, Apple is promoting its Weather app as Dark Sky’s alternative.
Apple says Dark Sky users can enjoy its features on the Weather app
In a new support document, the company explains that Dark Sky’s innovative and interactive features have been integrated with the Apple Weather app so users can continue to enjoy them after the app shuts down.
On iOS 16, iPadOS 16, and macOS Ventura 13, the Weather app now offers the following features:
- Down-to-the-minute precipitation forecasts at the users’ current location in form of a chart, a high-resolution map overlay, and notifications.
- Hourly forecast for the next 10 days of weather conditions like precipitation amounts, temperature, dew point, humidity, and others.
- Use full screen, high-resolution weather maps
- Receive hyperlocal weather forecasts from 0.001° of latitude and longitude.
- Notification of severe weather alerts for government-issued weather alerts and next-hour precipitation of the users’ current location.
Recently, Apple also rebranded Dark Sky API as WeatherKit with support for Android. The company shut down the app on Android in August 2020. This means that developers can use the API to add Apple-sourced information to Android apps and keep a version of Dark Sky available on Android.
- iOS 16.2 beta integrates Weather app with Apple News to show regional weather-related stories
- Carrot Weather app adds new iOS 16 Lock Screen widgets, layout sections and more
- Apple stops signing iOS 16.1.2, downgrade from iOS 16.2 impossible
- Apple Self Service Repair program now supports Mac desktops and Studio Display
- Apple announces the schedule of MLS Season Pass for 2023 season
- Epic Games settles child privacy cases for $520 million, raises concerns for its iOS ambitions
- Cron Calendar is now available on iOS with Google Calendar support