Microsoft has released an Edge for Apple Silicon Macs as a test build for its Canary channel users. Canary channel is usually reserved for bleeding-edge feature updates, and can also contain bugs as it is not recommended for daily use.
Microsoft had just recently announced that it is releasing Office for Mac for Apple Silicon M1 Macs this month, however, it has been slow when it comes to updating its Chromium-based Edge browser.
Microsoft Edge for Apple Silicon Macs released to Canary channel
Just like the Chrome update by Google, Edge for Apple Silicon is also available as two separate downloads, one for Intel-based Macs, and one for Apple chip-based Macs. It is unclear as to why Microsoft did not create a single Universal app for Edge, but either way, users would not have much trouble in downloading the browser.
Early impressions show that Edge for Apple Silicon Macs is almost as fast as Chrome, however, Safari is still way faster than all other browsers for M1 Macs. It is important to remember that Firefox and Chrome are available for Apple Silicon as stable builds, while Edge is still not available to the public.
If you are looking for a Chromium-based browser, but are vary of Google’s Keystone updater that could potentially slow down your Mac, Edge is a great alternative. Note that Microsoft still has not implemented tab and history sync, so if you rely on syncing browser data between multiple devices, you might want to consider Firefox instead.
- Firefox 84 released with support for Apple Silicon M1 Macs
- Adobe Lightroom now supports Apple’s M1 chip and Windows 10 on ARM
- Chrome for Apple Silicon M1 Macs is now available
- Twitter app for Mac gets macOS Big Sur support, design improvements, and updated icon
- Sparkle app is updated for Apple Silicon and macOS Big Sur with new design and SEO Assistant
- Apple drops ‘X’ from ‘Final Cut Pro’ – optimizes it for M1 chip with new social media tools
- Apple Silicon Mac universal app updates: DaVinci Resolve, Darkroom, Omni Productivity Suite, Nova 3, and Fantastical