Alongside iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and more, Apple also announced system improvements and new features for HomePod mini. The update includes new stereo pairing for HomePod mini and Apple TV 4K and improved Siri integration with the speaker.
HomePod mini can be used as an Apple TV speaker starting this fall
Third-party HomeKit accessory makers can now integrate Siri voice control for the first time ever. Compatible accessories will deliver requests through a HomePod or HomePod miniand will support Siri features like Intercom, timers, alarms, and more. In addition to this, HomePod mini owners will be able to use the device as a default speaker for Apple TV. Also, users will be able to use the “Hey Siri” command to play content on the TV.
The tech giant also announced that HomePod mini will be available in Austria, Ireland, New Zealand starting later this month, followed by Italy later this year. Users will receive support for Siri in the languages of these respective countries via HomePod Software 15.0 and iOS 15. ,
Last month, Apple announced that HomePod and HomePod mini will gain support lossless audio in a future software update through an updated support page. The support page also details that users need a wired connection to headphones or use built-in speakers to listen to lossless audio on iPhone or iPad. Currently, neither of Apple’s HomePod speakers are equipped to handle Apple Music lossless audio, but the company will likely add ALAC support so users can stream higher quality audio directly from the Internet to the speakers.
- AirPods features with iOS 15: conversation boost, ambient noise reduction, Announce notification and more
- Messages in iOS 15: Shared with You, better integration with other Apple apps and more
- FaceTime in iOS 15: Spatial Audio, SharePlay, cross platform calls and more
- Apple announces iCloud+ with major privacy updates including Mail Privacy Protection, Private Relay and more
- Apple introduces major updates to Health app including Health Sharing, Blood Glucose highlights, fall risk notification and more
- WWDC 21 HomeKit announcements: home keys, SharePlay, third-party support for Siri and, new Matter interoperability standard