Apple recently seeded the iOS 16.1 beta 3 to developers and beta testers. In the code of the latest beta update, 9to5Mac found that Apple has included a new “Satellite Connection Demo”, along with other features related to its Emergency SOS via Satellite capability launching in November 2022.
Across iPhone 14 series, Apple has introduced a new Emergency SOS via Satellite safety feature for users to connect emergency services when facing untoward or life-threatening incidents in a remote location without cellular and Wi-Fi coverage.
iOS 16.1 beta 3 features the new Satellite Connection Demo in the Settings app
Emergency SOS via Satellite tech requires users to be in the open air with a direct view of the sky. Although the feature comes with animated and guided instructions, it will be useful for users to practice connecting to emergency services over satellite via the new “Satellite Connection Demo”. It will also prevent users from making mock calls to the emergency services just to try out the feature.
According to the report, the new “Satellite Connection Demo” feature is available in the Settings app on iOS 16.1 beta 3.
Satellite Connection Demo can be accessed at any time via the Emergency SOS menu within the Settings app once it becomes available. Users will need to be outside and have a clear view of the sky to find the satellite connection.
- Try Satellite Connection Demo. Learn how to connect to a satellite in an emergency. You can always go to Settings > Emergency SOS to try the demo.
Features to expect in the upcoming iOS 16.1 update
Expected to launch in October, the new iOS 16.1 update is likely to include the following features:
- iCloud Shared Photo Library
- Live Activities and Live Activities API
- Focus filter
- Clean Energy Charging
- Battery percentage is now available on iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 11, and iPhone XR.
- Live Activities for iPhone 14 Pro Dynamic Island
- The lock screen charging indicator
- Updated battery percentage indicator in the status bar
- Game Center: SharePlay support and deeper contacts integration
- Matter support