Security is like a cat-and-mouse chase for software companies like Apple. As miscreants are always on the lookout for security vulnerabilities to hack devices, Apple is constantly releasing security fixes to patch those flaws to protect users’ data and privacy.
Notorious spyware, Pegasus by NSO is one such example. It used a zero-click exploit a zero-click exploit that does not require any action from the users and a simple text message can install malware on the targetted device. The malware gave access to the victim’s photos, contacts, messages, location, and other sensitive data to the attacker. Several human rights activities, journalists, political rivals, and others were hacked.
Therefore, users are strongly recommended to update their devices to the latest software version which patches security exploits that could give hackers access to their devices. Recently, Apple updated GarageBand for macOS with important security fixes.
Users must upgrade their devices to the new iOS 16.4, macOS 13.3, and others, ASAP
After investigating and fixing several security issues, Apple has released a document on the security content of iOS 16.4, iPadOS 16.4, and other OS updates.
The new updates have patched exploits in accessibility, Neural Engine, calendar, camera, CarPlay, ColorSync, core Bluetooth, CoreCapture, Find My, iCloud, Kernel, Photos, Podcasts, Safari, Shortcuts, WebKit, and others impacting the following devices:
- iPhone 8 and later, iPad Pro (all models), iPad Air 3rd generation and later, iPad 5th generation and later, and iPad mini 5th generation and later compatible with iOS 16.4
- Apple Watch Series 4 and later compatible with watchOS 9.4
- Apple TV 4K (all models) and Apple TV HD compatible with tvOS 16.4
- Macs compatible with macOS 13.3
- Studio Display compatible with macOS 13.3
- iOS 16.4 and macOS 13.3 add new action options to the Shortcuts app
- iOS 16.4 brings new order tracking widget for Apple Pay purchases
- Apple Podcasts app updated with new features in iOS 16.4, iPadOS 6.4 and macOS 13.3
- Apple adds support for PlayStation 5 DualSense Edge controller in iOS 16.4
- Use Memotify to create custom memoji wallpaper for iOS 16