After months of industry reports and rumors, Apple today announced iOS 17 with a dedicated journaling app called “Journal.” This new app aims to assist users in tracking their daily lives, similar to other popular journaling apps like Day One. With Journal, users can effortlessly log their thoughts and activities on a regular basis.
iOS 17 “Journal” app offers personalized suggestions and enhanced privacy powered by machine learning
The new journaling app harnesses the power of on-device machine learning to provide personalized suggestions to inspire your writing. As explained by Apple, these suggestions will be carefully curated from information stored on your device, such as photos, location data, music choices, and workout routines. Rest assured, users have complete control over which suggestions are included and which ones they choose to save in their Journal.
The journaling app offers the convenience of scheduling notifications for the start or end of your day, ensuring you never forget to write. Additionally, these notifications will inform you when new suggestions become available. Apple emphasizes that privacy is a top priority, incorporating on-device processing, end-to-end encryption, and the option to lock your journal for added security.
In conclusion, Apple’s introduction of Journal marks a significant step forward in personal journaling. Its integration of on-device machine learning, personalized suggestions, and robust privacy features offers a user-friendly experience for capturing and preserving daily moments.
Alongside the new journaling app, iOS 17 is set to offer StandBy mode, redesigned Messages app, and a new NameDrop feature with AirDrop as well as improvements for Siri, keyboard, stickers, and more.
Journal will come to iPhone in the fall as a part of iOS 17 alongside the announcement of the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro. The first developer beta of iOS 17 has been released for developers and a public beta will become available in July.
- iPadOS 17 announced – Interactive widgets, redesigned Lock Screen, Health app and more
- watchOS 10 announced – Redesigned apps, Smart Stack, vision health, mental health tools and more
- tvOS 17 announced with new Control Center, FaceTime, Continuity Camera support and more
- macOS Sonoma announced – Updates to widgets, Safari, gaming, video conferencing and more
- Apple announces 15-inch MacBook Air with M2 chip, world’s thinnest 15-inch laptop
- Apple announces new 2023 Mac Studio with M2 Max and M2 Ultra chips