Apple is expected to launch the next-generation iPhone 15 series this September. Rumor mills claim that the upcoming iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max models will further widen the gap between the standard and the Pro iPhone models.
Here’s everything you need to know about iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max rumors: features, designs, performance, battery, cameras, and more.
Update on iPhone 15 Pro price – September 8, 2023: The iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max are expected to be priced at $1,099 and $1,199, marking a $100 increase from current models, as stated by analyst Dan Ives. This aligns with previous reports of price hikes for Apple’s Pro iPhone models while the iPhone 15 and 15 Plus maintain current pricing.
Ives anticipates U.S. carriers will offer promotions and discounts to boost iPhone 15 sales, potentially mitigating resistance to the higher prices. He also notes that a substantial portion of Apple’s user base, 25 percent of 1.2 billion users, hasn’t upgraded in over four years, suggesting strong demand and a possible “mini super cycle.”
Update on iPhone 15 Pro Max battery: Leaker @Majin Bu claims that the upcoming iPhone 15 Pro Max will feature a 4422mAh battery which is slightly larger than the current iPhone 14 Pro Max’s 4,323mAh. A bigger battery is likely to improve the performance and power efficiency of the new 6.7-inch high-end iPhone model.
The new iPhone 15 Pro Max should have a 4422mAh battery. Despite this small increase compared to the previous series, it should still be more efficient pic.twitter.com/FBzQzo5be3
— Majin Bu (@MajinBuOfficial) August 31, 2023
- Update on iPhone 15 Ultra; 21 August 2023: Reportedly, Apple will rebrand the 6.7-inch iPhone 15 Pro Max as “iPhone 15 Ultra” this year.
For some time it has been speculated that an all-new premium model, iPhone 15 Ultra will debut in 2023. Days away from iPhone 15’s September launch, Andrew O’Hara from Apple Insider reconfirms that iPhone 15 Pro Max will be called the iPhone 15 Ultra.
Here’s a late Friday tidbit I’ve heard for #iPhone15. Multiple sources have told me Apple will indeed use the “iPhone 15 Ultra” monicker for the plus-sized pro phone. This was an early rumor that got backpedaled. Most have since referred to it as iPhone 15 Pro Max.
— Andrew O'Hara (@Andrew_OSU) August 19, 2023
- Update on A17 specs; 10 August 2023: It seems certain that Apple will equip the new iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max with an A17 chip which will be the first chip to be built on a 3nm process. Giving tell more about the upcoming A17, leaker @URedditor has shared the alleged specifications of the chip which suggest that it will deliver better performance and efficiency than the A16 chip currently used in iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.
- A17 will feature a 6-core CPU and 6-core GPU. The A16 chip features a 6-core CPU and 5-core GPU.
- A17’s CPU will deliver a maximum clock speed of 3.70 GHz. The maximum clock speed of A16’s CPU is 3.46GHz.
However, the leaker says that the A17 Bionic chip will also be paired with 6GB of RAM like the A16 Bionic chip. This claim refutes previous reports stating that iPhone 15 Pro models would support 8GB of RAM.
- Update on Action button – August 7, 2023: Apple leaker @MajinBuOfficial has shared images of iPhone 15 Pro Max or iPhone 15 Ultra protective cases which feature a new third button that replace the mute switcher above the volume buttons.
- Currently, an iPhone protective case features a cut-out for a mute switcher. In the alleged protective case for the highest-end iPhone 15 model, there is a button instead of cut out which corroborates the reports that Apple has bid audie to the mute switcher in the upcoming iPhone Pro models.
- The Action Button debuted in Apple Watch Ultra in 2022 and like the smartwatch, it will be customized to perform different actions in iPhone 15 Pro as well.
- Update on bezels – July 30, 2023: Mark Gurman from Bloomberg reconfirms that iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max will feature the thinnest bezels on an iPhone through low injection pressure over-molding. Apple refers to the tech as LIPO which was first used in the Apple Watch Series 7 to increase the size of the display. He also said that Apple will introduce LIPO tech in iPads to increase the screen real estate. It is also reported that Apple will replace stainless steel with titanium in the upcoming iPhone 15 Pro models to enhance durability and reduce fingerprints.
- Update on Action button; July 27, 2023: The iPhone 15 Pro is rumored to feature an innovative physical button called the Action button, replacing the Ring/Silent switch. This button will offer users quick access to various phone-focused options without unlocking the device or navigating through apps.
- According to iOS 17 beta 4 code snippets, the Action button can be customized with up to nine different options, catering to individual preferences. Among its functions are accessibility features, shortcuts, silent mode toggling, launching the camera, turning the flashlight on/off, activating/deactivating Focus mode, using the camera as a magnifier, launching the Translate app, and starting/stopping Voice Memos recordings.
Table of Contents
2023 iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max – rumored features
Rumor mills report that iPhone 15 Pro Max will come with a larger battery, an improved camera system with a periscope lens, and more screen real estate with the thinnest bezel on an iPhone.
- Apple will power the Pro models with an A17 Bionic chip built on TSMC’s 3nm process. It is reported that 3nm chips would focus on power efficiency, not processing power, and will require 35% less power.
- The new ultra-low energy microprocessor would power certain features to stay functional even when the smartphone has run out of battery or is turned off.
- iPhone 15 Pro models will feature a glass back and a new titanium design. Currently, standard iPhone models come in aluminum and Pro iPhone models come in stainless steel casings. Titanium casing will be more durable and lighter than stainless steel.
- This year, Apple will introduce a redesigned display with thinner bezels. It is also reported that iPhone 15 Pro Max will feature the thinnest bezels in smartphone history to give users an all-screen display experience.
- Apple might also introduce a new high-end model iPhone 15 Ultra which will replace the iPhone 15 Pro Max model. It will feature two front cameras, USB-C connectivity, and an ultra-low energy microprocessor.
- A dummy unit shared by the YouTube channel Unbox Therapy gives us the first real-world look at the iPhone 15 Ultra. As we can see from the image below, Apple will likely retain the current layout of the iPhone 14 Pro display but the bezels of the device will be thinner.
- Rounded back edges like iPhone 5C are expected to make their comeback, replacing the squared edges. 9to5Mac provided images which showcase the alleged design changes in the upcoming pro models, titanium casing with rounded edges, and protruding rear-camera bumps.
- Physical volume buttons will be replaced with a single solid-state button with haptic feedback. Apple leaker @ShrimpApplePro shared CAD images of iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max which reveal that both models will feature a unified or single solid-state volume button. Currently, iPhones feature two separate buttons to increase and decrease volume.
- Retracting from his previous claim, tech analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claims that Apple will not debut solid-state buttons in the new iPhone 15 Pro models because of “unresolved technical issues before mass production” and will feature physical volume buttons.
- Having said that, he added that Apple might redesign the physical buttons and might introduce a single elongated volume button instead of featuring two separate buttons.
- Refuting Kuo, anonymous Apple leaker @analyst941 states that upcoming Pro models will feature haptic volume, power, and action buttons. It is speculated that the new Mute button will be customizable like the Action button on Apple Watch Ultra.
- Corroborating Kuo, Apple leaker @Unknownz21 says that the tech company will not use the solid-state buttons design for volume and mute buttons in the new iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max. The source also added that Apple will use the current two-button design for volume buttons instead of the unified design.
- Apple’s supply chain partner, Cirrus Logic told shareholders that its HPMS will not be used this year as planned. HPMS components are high-performance mixed-signal chips that feature haptic drivers for iPhone’s Taptic Engine. Last year, the company said that it was in discussion with a “strategic customer” to use a new HPMS component in smartphones coming out in 2023. Barclay’s analysts speculate that the American manufacturer was referring to the alleged solid-state buttons for the upcoming iPhone 15 Pro models.
Even though the haptic buttons are not happening on the 15 Pro, these renders are still an interesting look at what could have been, were it not for the abrupt cancellation. pic.twitter.com/nGPvH3Fwbw
— Unknownz21 🌈 (@URedditor) April 13, 2023
- According to leaker @analyst941, the mute switch will be replaced with a customizable mute button which will work like the Apple Watch Ultra “Action button”. Users will be able to use it to take photos and record videos.
- Apple might remove the SIM card slot completely from the new iPhone 15 Pro models to offer e-SIM-only variants. iGeneration reports that Apple could launch eSIM-only models in France this year. This means other eSIM-only iPhones might be available in other European countries as well because Apple usually launches the same model for the whole region. Apple debuted e-SIM only iPhone 14 series in the United States in 2022.
- Researcher @Unknownz21 shared on Twitter that the new iPhone 15 Pro Max will only feature the new periscope lens in the rear camera for improved zoom. He also added that the new camera system will see under-the-hood changes; repositioning the flash and LiDAR sensor to make room for the periscope lens.
On a related note – the camera arrangement has changed, compared to the 14 Pro / Pro Max.
The Ultra Wide and Telephoto cameras have swapped positions – so the camera between the flash and LiDAR sensor is the one with periscope lens on the 15 Pro Max (regular telephoto on 15 Pro) https://t.co/J0QYdPsNH7
— Unknownz21 🌈 (@URedditor) May 16, 2023
- iPhone 15 Pro Max will feature a periscope lens with up to 5x or 10x optical zoom.
- Tech analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reported that the rear camera system will be upgraded with new periscope tech to enable 5x – 6x optical zoom. Currently, the latest iPhone 14 Pro models max out at 3x optical zoom. Therefore, the double optical zoom in the upcoming Pro models will enhance image quality and reduce blurriness.
As per a post on Weibo, spotted by IT Home, both new iPhone 15 Pro models will have larger batteries. Here are the rumored iPhone 15 Pro battery capacities, alongside the iPhone 14 Pro model battery capacities listed below to show the difference:
- iPhone 15 Pro: 3650mAh
- iPhone 15 Pro Max: 4852mAh
- iPhone 14 Pro: 3200mAh
- iPhone 14 Pro Max: 4323mAh
- Brighter display with 2,500 nits.
- Always-On display with 120Hz refresh rate will continue to be exclusively available on the Pro models this year as well.
This year Apple is finally expected to switch to USB-C charging port and bid farewell to Lightning. After the EU passed a new rule for all manufacturers of portable devices to equip laptops, smartphones, tablets, wearables, and others with USB-C connectors by 2024, it was speculated that USB-C ports will debut in 2023 iPhones.
A report that only Apple MFi-certified USB-C headphones and cables would be compatible with the new iPhone 15 series substantiated that claim.
It is also claimed that only the USB 3.2 port on Pro models will support faster data transfer speeds.
Advanced Wi-Fi 6E will debut in 2023 iPhone 15 Pro models. It is the next-generation wireless connection that offers faster connectivity speeds, lower latency, and more capacity.
New iPhone 15 Pro models will support 8GB of RAM. More RAM will improve the multitasking experience on smartphones by keeping more apps open in the background without reloading them.
A new deeper and darker burgundy-red color option is expected to launch this year.
All the new hardware upgrades might cause an increase in the price of new iPhone 15 Pro models. A tech analyst at Haitong International Securities, Jeff Pu believes that the upcoming Pro models will be more expensive than the current iPhone 14 Pro models which start from $999.
It is expected to be announced on September 12 and will be available in the next two weeks.
As we will keep updating it as new details surface, do not forget to revisit to get the latest.