Here’s everything you need to know about iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus rumors: features, designs, performance, battery, cameras, and more.
Like the 2022 iPhone 14 series, the 2023 iPhone series is also expected to feature iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus. Based on industry sources and leaks, the upcoming 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch standard models will feature several major upgrades like the A16 Bionic chip used in the 2022 iPhone 14 Pro models, an improved camera system, and more.
Here are all the alleged iPhone 15 and Plus related rumors: finish, display, features, price, colors, and more.
Updated on USB-C cable; 24 August 2023: By now it seems almost certain that the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro would feature USB-C port. Now, leaker @Majin Bu claims that the USB-C to USB-C charging cable shipped with the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus would feature 2.0 data transfer speed and not be restricted by Apple’s MFi
New iPhone 15 USB C Cable Info Confirmed
Thicker and more resistant
USB 2.0 20V3A
No MFI pic.twitter.com/WV4unodWPg
— Majin Bu (@MajinBuOfficial) August 23, 2023
Previously, tech analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that only iPhone 15 Pro models would support faster USB-C speeds and the standard models would support USB 2.0. He might have accurately reported the feature before everyone else.
- Updated on charging cables; 21 August 2023: Apple leakers have shared information on iPhone 15 and 15 Plus alleged color-matched USB-C to USB-C braided charging cable.
- @Majin Bu posted images of thick braided USB-C to USB-C cables on X (Twitter) claiming that the charging cable could be for the upcoming iPhone 15 series in pink, space grey, and black.
This is supposed to be the iPhone 15 USB C cable, I found this photo online but currently I can't trace the resource, so I can't be sure if it's true or not pic.twitter.com/bTILwlxxG5
— Majin Bu (@MajinBuOfficial) August 19, 2023
An Apple prototype collector @Kosutami corroborated that claim and posted images of alleged samples of iPhone 15 Pro USB-C cable in black with color-matched braided mesh and connector.
iPhone 15 Pro USB-C Cable DVT Sample
Full black including connectors inside, comes with black SR(Strain relief plastic tubes) which different with the existing Woven Cable with USB-C from (Except the one of Mac Pro)#Apple #appleinternal @HartleyCharlton @URedditor pic.twitter.com/pbjMDfpXu0
— Kosutami (@KosutamiSan) August 21, 2023
- Update on new notch; 30 July 2023: Mark Gurman of Bloomberg has revealed that the upcoming iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus models will ditch the standard notch for Dynamic Island. The new smartphone models will also get USB-C instead of Lightning connector and camera improvements thanks to the A16 Bionic chip.
- Update on batteries; July 4, 2023: as per a post on Weibo, spotted by IT Home, both new iPhone 15 models will have larger batteries. Here are the rumored iPhone 15 battery capacities, alongside the iPhone 14 model battery capacities listed below to show the difference:
- iPhone 15: 3877mAh
- iPhone 15 Plus: 4912mAh
- iPhone 14: 3279mAh
- iPhone 14 Plus: 4325mAh
- Update on USB-C EarPods; April 27, 2023: Information on the new wired EarPods is added under the Port and Accessories section.
- Update on eSIMs-only models; March 27, 2023: Information on the removal of physical SIM slots in more regions is added under the Design section.
- Update on display; March 24, 2023: Information on the new notch design and its components is added under the Design section.
Table of Contents
Here is everything we know about the new iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus
Processor and 5G modem
- Apple will power the new iPhone 15 models with the A16 system on chip (SoC) which is currently used in iPhone 14 Pro models. The processor is built on TSMC’s advanced 5nm process to deliver enhanced performance and power efficiency.
- The new models will feature Qualcomm’s new Snapdragon X70 modem built on TSMC’s 4nm process for faster connectivity.
- New OLED display with improved power efficiency
- Thinner bezels
- Pill+ hole notch with Dynamic Island. Tech analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claims that Apple will integrate a new 940nm wavelength proximity sensor inside the Dynamic Island area; unlike the iPhone 14 Pro models where the 1380nm proximity sensor sits below the Dynamic Island space. The proximity sensor detects when the phone is up to the user’s ears and turns off the screen.
IQE將取代聯亞，成為iPhone 15系列的proximity sensor的磊晶晶圓 (epi wafer) 獨家供應商。所有iPhone 15機型雖均採用與iPhone 14 Pro機型相同的動態島設計，但差別在於iPhone 14 Pro將proximity sensor放置屏下/在動態島外，而iPhone 15系列則在動態島面積幾乎沒有變化下，將proximity…
— 郭明錤 (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo) March 24, 2023
- eSIMs only models expected to launch in France and other European countries. iGeneration claims that next-generation iPhone 15 and 15 Plus models could abandon physical SIMs in France. As Apple launches the same models in Europe, it is likely that other countries will get eSIMs only iPhones as well. Apple launched eSIM-only iPhone 14 models in the United States last year, and it appears the company is going to expand them to more countries.
- 48MP rear camera as introduced in iPhone 14 Pro models in 2022 to capture clearer and sharper images, especially in low-light conditions.
Along with 2023 iPhone Pro models, the new iPhone 15 standard models will also support Wi-Fi 6E with more than 6Ghz bandwidth to deliver faster wireless speeds, lower latency, and less signal interference.
Port and accessories
Currently, the company uses Semiconductor chips called integrated circuit (IC) interfaces which control how data is shared between devices like first-party and third-party MFi-certified Lightning ports and connectors. This mechanism allows Apple to prevent the use of fake and potentially hazardous accessories, promote the use of genuine and certified iPhone accessories and earn a commission on MFi-certified accessories.
An Apple leaker with a good track record @ShrimpApplePro tweeted that wired EarPods with USB-C connectors are in mass production. This claim corroborates that the tech giant will finally introduce USB-C ports in the upcoming iPhone series, and reveals that it wants to offer a cheaper headphones alternative to AirPods.
However, it is unclear if the new USB-C EarPods will come in the box or would be sold separately. In 2020, Apple removed EarPods and power adaptors from iPhone boxes for environmental reasons.
Also USB-C MFI cables and Earpods are in mass production for a while is the best proof that it’s happening.
— ShrimpApplePro 🍤 (@VNchocoTaco) April 27, 2023
Apple might introduce new color options in the standard iPhone lineup, the dark or hot pink and bright sky blue color options. “The pink shade, color hex code #CE3C6C which is a deeper pink described as “telemagenta, and the blue, color hex code #4DB1E2, which is described as “Picton blue.”
iPhone 15 will not be compatible with iPhone 14 protective cases.