After putting iPhone 13 Pro Max display through extensive testing, DisplayMate concludes that the new 6.7-inch iPhone 13 Pro Max has A+ “State-of-the-Art Display” because of its high-performance features and functions. DisplayMate compares high-tier displays and is known as an industry standard for optimizing, calibrating, testing, evaluating, and comparing all types of displays”.
Last year’s iPhone 12 Pro Max also received an A+ rating by DisplayMate but according to the company’s test result, the iPhone 13 Pro Max’s display is even better than iPhone 12 Pro Max because of the new OLED with 120Hz ProMotion display, 27% higher brightness, higher Absolute Color Accuracy, 25% higher display power efficiency and 20% smaller notch.
The iPhone 13 Pro Max has a Very Impressive Excellent Top Tier World Class Smartphone Display with close to Text Book Perfect Calibration Accuracy and Performance that is Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect.
With an even better display than iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 13 Pro Max is crowned the best display
According to DisplayMate, the crown jewel of a smartphone is its display because it determines everything; how good and beautiful everything on looks like photos, videos, movies, web content, apps, and also how readable and usable the screen is in high ambient lighting. And the display of the iPhone 13 Pro Max has not only earned high-performance scores but has also set new records. Here are the results:
- A Full Screen design with a large 6.7 inch OLED display that fills almost the entire front face of the iPhone 13 Pro Max from edge-to-edge, providing a significantly larger display for the same phone size.
- A display form factor with a taller height to width Aspect Ratio of 19.5 : 9 = 2.16, which is 22% larger than the 16 : 9 = 1.78 on most Smartphones (and widescreen TVs) because the display now has the same overall shape as the entire phone. It is taller in Portrait mode and wider in Landscape mode.
- A 2.8K High Resolution 2778 x 1284 Full HD+ Display with 458 pixels per inch, and Diamond Pixels with Sub-Pixel Rendering for enhanced sharpness and higher Peak Brightness.
- The iPhone 13 Pro Max display appears Perfectly Sharp for normal 20/20 Vision at Typical Smartphone Viewing Distances of 12 to 18 inches (30 to 46 cm).
- A New Higher 120 Hz Display Refresh Rate that improves image Scrolling and Videos, plus Motion and Gaming Performance in Apps, and may also reduce Screen Flicker that some people experience.
- A Record High Full Screen Brightness for OLED Smartphones of 1,050 nits for 100% APL in High Ambient Light, which improves screen visibility in high Ambient Light.
- Each iPhone 13 Pro Max display is individually calibrated at the factory for both Color Accuracy and Contrast Accuracy.
- Very High Absolute Color Accuracy(0.5 JNCD) that is Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect.
- Color Accuracy and Intensity Scales that are Independent of the Image Content APL.
- Automatic Color Management that automatically switches to the proper Color Gamut for any displayed image content within the Wide DCI-P3 Color Space that has an ICC Profile, so images automatically appear with the correct colors, neither being over-saturated or under-saturated.
- 2 Industry Standard Color Gamuts: the sRGB / Rec.709 Color Gamut that is used for most current consumer content, and the new Wide DCI-P3 Color Gamut that is used in 4K Ultra HD TVs. The DCI-P3 Gamut is 26 percent larger than the sRGB / Rec.709 Gamut.
- A full100% DCI-P3 Color Gamut that is also used for 4K Ultra HD TVs, so the iPhone 13 Pro Max can display the latest high-end 4K video content.
- AHigh Dynamic Range Mobile HDR Display which allows the iPhone 13 Pro Max to play 4K High Dynamic Range content produced for 4K UHD TVs. The HDR Peak Brightness is 1,200 nits.
- A Very Low Screen Reflectance of 4.6 percent.
- A Night Shift Mode that allows the user to adjust and reduce the amount of Blue Light from the display for better night viewing and improved sleep.
- A Dark Mode setting that inverts the typical White Background with Black Text to a Black Background with White Text, which significantly reduces the overall Brightness of the entire display for most applications, and should reduce eye strain when viewing the display in low to dark ambient light.
- A True Tone viewing mode that automatically changes the White Point and color balance of the display based on real-time measurements of the Ambient Light falling on the screen to make the display behave more like paper reflecting Ambient Light and taking on its color.
- Small to Medium Color Shifts and Small Brightness Shifts with Viewing Angle.
- Vision Accessibility Display Modes to help people with vision impairments.
- The iPhone 13 Pro Max can be used with Polarized Sunglasses in both the Portrait and Landscape orientations unlike many LCDs, which generally work in only one of the two orientations.
The tester concludes that iPhone 13 Pro Max has earned the Highest Overall Display Assessment Rating and Highest Display Performance Grade of A+ because of its “Uniformly Consistent Top Tier Display Performance and receives All Green [Very Good to Excellent] Ratings in All DisplayMate Lab Test Display Performance and Accuracy Categories.”