Several days ago, we received our first look inside Apple’s new iPhone 13. As per the images, the model features a redesigned interior with a larger battery and a smaller Taptic Engine being the most significant changes. Now, iFixit has completed its customary teardown of Apple’s iPhone 13 Pro revealing some minor internal changes, revamped TrueDepth components, a bigger battery, and more.
iFixit conducts customary iPhone 13 Pro teardown
First, the battery. The 3,095mAh cell is rated at 11.97 watt-hours with a measured capacity of 12.11Wh compared to a 10.78Wh battery found in iPhone 12 Pro. The smartphone’s battery can be swapped, but doing so will trigger a warning notification. The battery capacities of the full iPhone 13 lineup were also revealed recently:
- iPhone 13 mini: 2,406 mAh
- iPhone 13: 3,227 mAh
- iPhone 13 Pro: 3,095 mAh
- iPhone 13 Pro Max: 4,352 mAh
The Taptic Engine in iPhone 13 Pro appears smaller than iPhone 12 Pro’s but iFixit notes that it is actually thicker at 6.3 grams and 869.4 mm3 compared to 4.8 grams and 764.27 mm3 on the previous model.
To reduce the size of iPhone 13’s notch by 20%, Apple revamped the TrueDepth components by merging Face ID’s flood illuminator and dot projector into a single module. The earpiece speaker, previously fixed to the back of the display, now resides inside the chassis. This means that you will now have to pull the whole logic board out to swap a broken speaker.
On the rear end of the device, iFixit notes that this year’s Pro-camera arrangement looks the same as iPhone 12 Pro but it is noticeably “beefier,” than last year’s lineup. This is likely due to the updated camera lens and sensors featured in iPhone 13 Pro that enable the smartphone to gather more light than previous iPhones.
iFixit has given the new iPhone 13 a repairability score of five, which is lower than iPhone 12’s score of six. This score measures how easy or difficult a device is to repair.
Check out the detailed teardown conducted by iFixit here.
- iPhone 13 Pro Max battery test shows it outlasts every other iPhone model ever
- iPhone 13 Pro reviews: battery life, ProMotion and cameras are major wins
- iPhone 13 mini and iPhone 13 reviews round-up: camera improvements and battery life are a major hit
- iPhone 13 Dual SIM and eSIM – All you need to know
- iPhone 13 unboxing videos are out now – Watch here
- iPhone 13 is the most important iPhone ever, setting “new dimensions of performance”
- Every new camera feature in iPhone 13: ProRes support, Cinematic Mode, Macro, more
- iPhone 13 battery sizes have increased – here are the changes