Apple highlighted some headling features of the Phone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max at launch and additional details such as 8GB RAM, USB 3 transfer speeds, and other features have since been released. Learn more about them below.
A detailed list of additional information about Apple’s new iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max
A17 Pro chip
- iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max feature Apple’s cutting-edge A17 Pro chip.
- This powerhouse offers a 10% boost in CPU performance over the prior A16 Bionic chip.
It delivers twice the Neural Engine performance for enhanced AI capabilities.
- The chip incorporates a redesigned 6-core GPU that is 20% faster, revolutionizing video streaming and mobile gaming.
Roadside Assistance via satellite
- Apple has introduced a new emergency service called Roadside Assistance via satellite for iPhone 15 and iPhone 14 models, aimed at helping users facing car trouble in areas with no cellular or Wi-Fi coverage.
- Roadside Assistance via satellite connects users with AAA, the largest roadside assistance provider in the United States.
- Users can complete a short questionnaire on their iPhone to relay important information like the issue and location, which is transmitted via satellite to AAA representatives for dispatching help.
- Users will enjoy free access to Roadside Assistance via satellite for two years, but AAA may charge for roadside assistance services as per their membership plans.
eSIM and Dual SIM functionality
- iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro models offer eSIM and dual SIM options for users.
- Up to 8 eSIMs can be set up on these iPhone models, but only two can be used simultaneously.
- eSIMs are digital SIM cards that allow users to activate cellular plans without physical SIM cards, making them convenient, especially for international travel.
- eSIM-only iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro models are currently available only in the United States.
- The dual SIM options vary by region: In the USA, both iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro support dual-eSIM. In China, both models have dual physical SIM slots. In the rest of the world, they offer one physical Nano-SIM slot and two eSIMs.
- All iPhone 15 models feature a USB-C port, but the Pro models support USB 3 transfer speeds of 10 gigabits per second.
- This makes it easier to move large quantities of data to your Mac or storage devices.
Wi-Fi 6e and Thread support
- The iPhone 15 Pro’s support for Wi-Fi 6e offers up to twice the bandwidth compared to the older standard.
- Thread support hints at future Home app integrations, promising exciting possibilities down the line.
- Both the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max come equipped with 8GB of RAM, an upgrade from the previous 6GB in the iPhone 14 Pro models.
- This extra RAM enhances overall system performance, especially for multitasking.
- The iPhone 15 Pro models feature an aerospace-grade titanium exterior and aluminum interior.
- While the Pro models are only 19 grams lighter than their predecessors, the materials offer strength, durability, and reduced weight, promising a noticeable difference in the long run.
The iPhone 15 Pro models feature a brand-new customizable Action button, which can be assigned various functions. By default, it silences your phone, but you can set it to carry out one of the following actions.
- Activate quick language translation
- Open Voice Memos
- Switch Focus modes
- Access the camera or flashlight
- Enable Accessibility options
- Launch a Shortcut
Note that the Action Button also offers haptic feedback.
- Both iPhone 15 Pro models feature an impressive 48-megapixel camera with computational photography upgrades.
- Expect better low-light photos in Night mode, vibrant images with Smart HDR, and automatic Portrait mode.
- The Pro Max even offers a 5x Telephoto camera.
ProRes video recording to external devices
Recording ProRes video directly to external storage is now possible thanks to the A17 Pro chip and the new USB-C port.
- This feature allows for ProRes 4K at 60 fps and ProRes 2.8K at 60 fps, a significant improvement over previous models.
Pre-order and launch dates
Pre-orders for all iPhone 15 models start on Friday, September 15 at 5 a.m. Pacific Time, with the official launch slated for Friday, September 22.
Read early reviews for the iPhone 15 Pro models here.