Vimeo has released a major update for iPhone and iPad which sports a brand new design, picture-in-picture support for iOS 9, new player (with 4K video support), improved offline playback and video uploading and much more.
Vimeo is one of the best video websites as an alternative for YouTube. In my opinion, they have always had a better video player on their website and they have done a great job at bringing the same experience to their iOS app. For streaming, Vimeo is now supporting 4K video streams for iPad Pro. I’m not sure why it is not supported on iPad Air 2 since it is powerful enough to playback 4K videos too. iPhone 6s and 6s Plus users already have 4K video recording capabilities so they can upload video in the same resolution too through the app. The app also supports picture-in-picture inside the app, similar to how the YouTube app works.
Overall, the app is visually pleasing to use, content discovery is better and search is blazing fast, compared to previous versions.
Here’s the complete change log from Vimeo for version 6.0:
- Super fresh design: it’s easy on the eyes and even easier to use thanks to new navigation tools.
- A hot new player: stream HD (and even 4K!) videos in even more ways with picture-in-picture viewing, recs for what to watch next, and simpler commenting on compatible devices like iPad Pro.
- A+ uploading: upload videos more quickly, set your privacy, and manage settings.
- More to love: browse human-curated categories like Animation, Documentary, Travel, etc. to discover amazing new videos.
- Watch videos, sans WiFi: saving videos to watch offline (and removing them from your playlist) is even easier.
- More info about videos: learn more about the stuff you’re watching (before you watch it).
- Upload anywhere, watch everywhere: enjoy Vimeo on both mobile and tablet.
- Speedier searching: find exactly what you’re looking for, without the wait.
Vimeo is available as a universal app for iOS devices and can be downloaded from the link below.