Recently, Apple seeded watchOS 8.6 RC to developers and the update includes support for the ECG app in Mexico for the owners of Apple Watch Series 4 or newer models. However, the feature is available on Apple Watch SE (2020).
Apple introduced the ECG app to enable users to take an electrocardiogram (ECG) anywhere and anytime to track the health of their heart. The health app records the timing and strength of the electrical signals which make the heartbeat and notifies the user if it detects an anomaly like atrial fibrillation (AFib), a form of irregular rhythm.
As useful as the feature is in detecting atrial fibrillation, it is not available globally because of different medical requirements in different countries. Therefore, Apple is gradually rolling out ECG app support in new countries or regions after getting clarification.
watchos 8.6 includes new features, improvements, and bug fixes, including:
– Support for the ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 or later in Mexico
– Support for irregular heart rhythm notifications in Mexico
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/HT201222
Recently, Mayo Clinic created an AI algorithm powered by the ECG app to detect a weak heart pump or left ventricular dysfunction. Paul Friedman, M.D., chair of the Department of Cardiovascular Medicine at Mayo Clinic in Rochester said that the new invention is a big breakthrough in medicine because up to 3% of people in the world and 9% of people over the age of 60 suffer from the weak heart which has no symptoms.
It is good to have the official support of the ECG app in one’s country for more comprehensive monitoring of one’s health.
watchOS 8.6 compatible Apple Watch models
watchOS 8.6 will be compatible with the following Apple Watch models:
- Apple Watch Series 7
- Apple Watch Series 6
- Apple Watch SE
- Apple Watch Series 5
- Apple Watch Series 4
- Apple Watch Series 3
Usually, an update is available for the public soon after Apple releases its RC (release candidate), so, it is likely that watchOS 8.6 will be released next week. Click here to read the full list of countries with ECG app support.
- Download iOS 15.4.1 and iPadOS 15.4.1 IPSW firmware files
- Everything we know about watchOS 9 so far: Rumored features, improvements and more
- Apple seeds iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 release candidate to developers
- Apple seeds macOS Monterey 12.4 release candidate to developers
- Apple seeds tvOS 15.5 release candidate released to developers
- Apple sends out “WWDC 2022” RSVP to select invitees to be part of the event in-person