Facebook-owned WhatsApp has been working on a chat history migration as part of the highly-anticipated multi-device support. But recent reports have shown that the ability is to migrate chats from one phone number to another.
The new development seems to be an extension of the ability to transfer WhatsApp chat history from one platform to another; Android to iOS for example. A Chat History Migration tool is already in the testing phase. This will come in handy for users who wish to switch their WhatsApp accounts between Android and iPhones.
WhatsApp to release an update in the future that will allow chat migration to different phone numbers
The feature was spotted by WABetaInfo, the feature to transfer WhatsApp chat history to a different platform will fix the issue where a user can not restore the chat history after buying a device that is not on the same operating system. It is not possible to restore your chat history from iCloud for Android, and the same scenario with iOS as it can not restore backups from Google Drive. The messenger company is working on a solution that would make this process happen with ease.
- You won’t be able to migrate your chat history at any time: you could start this process only when you link a new Android phone to your WhatsApp account.
- Media will be also migrated to the Android device: you will find your chat history fully migrated, as well as media.
- You can transfer your chat history to a different phone number: this is very useful when you are changing device and phone number, so the process to change your phone number will be automatically launched before starting to migrate your chat history.
According to WABetaInfo, the feature is under development for Android and iOS. It will be made available in a future update, though no fixed date has been disclosed. What are your thoughts about this feature? Let us know in the comments below!
- Leaker gives a sneak peek of WhatsApp new disappearing messages feature on iOS
- WhatsApp is testing new ‘Sticker Suggestions” feature for iOS and Android