Microsoft has started rolling out Windows 10 May 2020 update, also known as version 2004, for all users. The new major release features a built-in Linux Kernel, Cortana updates, instant Bluetooth pairing with devices, passwordless logins, kaomoji support, DirectX 12 Ultimate, and much more.
Windows 10 May 2020 Update Available Now
Windows 10 May 2020 ships with a huge number of new features aimed at both consumers and developers. For consumers, the following new features are available in this update:
- You can now chat with Cortana and even de-couple it from the taskbar. Cortana also shows a lot more information as widgets, such as news, weather and more.
- Direct X12 Ultimate brings support for ray tracing, mesh shaders, variable rate shading, and sampler feedback to gaming PCs with compatible graphics cards.
- Bluetooth pairing with devices is finally modern now. You see a notification pop-up in the system tray when a Bluetooth device is detected and you need to click just one button to pair. It works similar to how AirPods pairing works with iOS devices.
- You can now rename Virtual Desktops in Windows 10.
- Xbox Game Bar supports third-party widgets, so developers can easily extend its functionality.
- Microsoft Edge has memory improvements by up to 27%. Reduced memory usage is always a welcome upgrade!
- Notepad has some improvements: quick text zooming, unsaved text indicator, and wrap around find/replace.
- You can now send/receive text messages, notifications, and take phone calls, right from you Windows 10 PC without having to pick up your Android phone. The new Your Phone app also provides quick access to the photos and apps on your phone.
- Accessibility improvements include: revamped narrator sounds, eye control, language settings and typing experiences and more.
For developers, the new Windows 10 May 2020 update ships with a built-in Linux kernel, WSL 2. This will allows users to get more work done without leaving their Windows 10 PC and switching to a Linux PC. Microsoft will be adding support for Linux GUI apps and hardware graphics acceleration in the future.
To download and install the free update, open Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. When you see the update appear, click the download and install button. If you do not see the update, it might be due to the gradual roll-out, so you might want to wait for a few days. Alternatively, you can download a Windows 10 May 2020 ISO image file to manually force upgrade your PC.
All eyes are now on the next exciting update coming soon to laptops: Windows 10X.