Apple just released Safari 15 for macOS Big Sur and macOS Catalina with a new design for the tab bar, an improved search field, a redesigned sidebar with Tab Groups, new privacy protections, and HTTPS upgrade for known websites.
Apple releases Safari 15 for macOS Big Sur and macOS Catalina
Safari 15 features a new design for its tab bar, which takes less space than before, and adapts the color of the website as well. The tab bar takes lesser space than before and hides most of the features behind a new ‘more’ menu. This means that apart from tabs and any extensions that show in the tab bar, all other features like reload, share, bookmarks, quick notes, and privacy reports are hidden in this new menu.
The new Tab groups feature allows users to save and organize open tabs into various groups. These groups automatically sync between all devices signed in to the same iCloud ID. Tab groups are accessible from a button on the top left of the browser in Safari. in addition, Safari now automatically upgrades known websites from HTTP to HTTPS to provide an additional layer of security.
Here are the complete release notes from Apple for Safari 15:
• Tab Groups help you save and organize your tabs and easily access them across devices
• Redesigned tabs have a rounder and more defined appearance and take on the color of the webpage
• Compact tab bar option shows more of your web page on screen
• HTTPS upgrade automatically switches sites from HTTP to more secure HTTPS when available
Safari 15 can be downloaded by opening up the System Preferences interface and selecting the Software Update option. Currently, we do not know when macOS Monterey will be released but it could arrive in October alongside the rumored 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pro models.
- iOS 15 is now available to all users with new Focus Mode, improved Siri, Spotlight, and more
- iPadOS 15 is now available with home screen widgets, multitasking improvements and more
- Apple releases tvOS 15 with Spatial Audio, Shared with You, and HomePod mini support
- HomePod software version 15 released with Siri improvements and bass level customization
- watchOS 8 is now available for Apple Watch Series 3 and later