iOS 17.4 beta adds a new feature to the Clock app: Stopwatch Live Activity. This means that you can now see the stopwatch running on your Dynamic Island or Lock Screen, even when you’re not using the Clock app.
iOS 17.4 beta Stopwatch Live Activity: See the stopwatch running on Dynamic Island or the lock screen
The Dynamic Island will show a small, up-to-the-second timer, while the Lock Screen will show the full Stopwatch timer. You can also tap on the Dynamic Island or Lock Screen to pause the Stopwatch, start a new lap, or clear it.
This is a small but useful change that will make it easier to keep track of time when you’re using the Stopwatch. It’s especially helpful for iPhones with Dynamic Island, as it gives you a quick and easy way to see how much time has passed without having to unlock your phone.
How Stopwatch Live Activity feature works
To use Stopwatch Live Activity, simply open the Clock app and start the stopwatch. The stopwatch will then appear on your Dynamic Island or Lock Screen.
- Dynamic Island: The Dynamic Island will show a small, up-to-the-second timer.
- Lock Screen: The Lock Screen will show the full stopwatch timer, along with controls for pausing, resuming, and starting a new lap.
You can also tap on the Live Activity to open the Clock app.
Benefits of Stopwatch Live Activity
Stopwatch Live Activity is a small but useful addition to iOS 17.4. Here are some of the benefits of this feature:
- Keep track of time more easily: With Stopwatch Live Activity, you can see the stopwatch running even when you’re not using the Clock app. This can be helpful if you’re using the stopwatch to time something that you need to keep an eye on, such as cooking a meal or working out.
- More convenient: Stopwatch Live Activity makes it more convenient to use the stopwatch. You don’t have to open the Clock app every time you want to check the time or pause the stopwatch.
- Better multitasking: Stopwatch Live Activity allows you to multitask more easily. You can use other apps while still keeping track of the stopwatch.
Overall, the addition of Live Activity support for the Stopwatch app is a welcome improvement that makes it more convenient and user-friendly to track your elapsed time.
Stopwatch Live Activity is currently available in the iOS 17.4 beta. It’s not yet available to the public and features may change before the final release.
However, the potential of Live Activity is undeniable. It represents a thoughtful improvement for stopwatch users, transforming it from a hidden tool into an integrated and intuitive part of the iOS experience.