When Apple announced the new iOS 17 update at the WWDC 2023 event but it did not mention all the features on the stage for obvious time constraint reasons because the tech giant launched the new 15-inch MacBook Air, M2 Ultra Mac Pro, and most importantly, Apple Vision Pro, along with unveiling upcoming software updates for iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, AirPods, and other devices.
The tech giant also released the first developer beta of iOS 17, iPadOS 17, and other upcoming updates right after the event.
So, we have listed the iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 features which were not discussed at the event, like 3 new Memojis, improved Apple News+, expansion of Communication Safety to other apps, and more.
These iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 features were not announced at the WWDC 2023 event
- AirDrop‘s new “finish transfer over the Internet” requires both users to be logged into their iCloud accounts.
- Apple New+ features crossword puzzles and its Audio Stories are now available in the Podcasts app.
- Communication Safety expands CSAM detection beyond iMessage to FaceTime messages, Contact Posters, AirDrop, and third-party apps with the option to blur sensitive content.
- Lockdown Mode is available on Apple Watch.
- Three new Memojis: Peekaboo, Smirk, and Halo.
- Visual Lookup supports a paused video frame. The feature can identify recipes of similar dishes in a photo and a new popover is available to search for information about a subject pulled out of an image.
- Safari has revamped Search to show more relevant results and be faster.
- Reminders app features a new Grocery List which organizes items into categories automatically and remembers if the user changes the grouping.
- Reminders app for iPadOS 17 features a new Column View mode to break sections into different columns.
- Notes app can now link to a connected note.
- Fitness app allows subscribers to create their own workout or meditation plan and has updated the Sharing tab to display highlights.
- Apple Music allows users to collaborate with playlists.
- Apple Maps allows users to choose their preferred electric vehicle (EV) charging network and view its availability in real-time.
- Spotlight features “app shortcuts” in search results to take users directly to a specific part of an app.
- Sign-in to iPhone is made easier through any email ID or number in the account details, along with using a nearby device.
- Home app features an ‘Activity History’ section to view the last 30 days of activity from garage doors, smart locks, contact sensors, and security devices.
- Matter smart locks now support tap-to-unlock and PIN codes.
- Find My app lets users share AirTag or supported accessories with up to five contacts or individuals.
- Autofill verification codes are sent via email.
- Passwords and passkeys can be shared with select people or contacts.
- New Privacy protection enables apps to add calender invites without viewing users’ calendars and only allows access to select photos.
- Dropped support for older devices:
- iOS 17 is not compatible with iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X.
- iPadOS 17 is not compatible with iPad Pro (1st generation) and iPad (fifth generation)
- Journal app will arrive in late 2023.