Today, Facebook has updated Instagram Direct Messages with Messenger app’s messaging features. Now Instagram and Messenger users will be able to continue their conversations across apps and stay connected more conveniently. The update also introduced new messaging features like selfie stickers, color themes, replies, effects, and more. The update will be available on iOS and Android devices.
Adam Mosseri, the Head of Instagram, and Stan Chudnovsky, the Head of Messenger explain the inspiration behind the new update.
“People are communicating in private spaces now more than ever. More than a billion people already use Messenger as a place to share, hang out and express themselves with family and friends. That’s why we’re connecting the Messenger and Instagram experience to bring some of the best Messenger features to Instagram – so you have access to the best messaging experience, no matter which app you use. People on Instagram can decide whether to update immediately to this new experience.”
Facebook introduces Messenger features on Instagram
The latest Instagram update will help users to stay connected without thinking which app they are using
- Instagram Integrated With Messenger: For easy and quick communication across apps, Facebook now allows people on both apps to reach their friends and family. For example, people on Messenger can send messages to contacts on Instagram without downloading a new app, and vice versa.
- Selfie Stickers: This new feature converts users’ selfies into different types of stickers like Boomerang and emojis to make the chats more entertaining and exciting.
- Watch Together: This feature is designed to allow users to watch IGTV videos and clips with family and friends, virtually.
- Vanish Mode: Users can keep their private messages, very private by enabling the vanish mode. When set, seen messages automatically disappear from the chat.
- Replies: It will be easier for Instagram users to reply to a specific message.
- Forward A Message: Now a message can be easily shared with up to five friends or group.
- Customize Chat Colors and Themes: To give a personalized touch to conversations, users can set various color backgrounds to their chats.
- Custom Emoji Reactions: Users can now react to messages with a variety of emojis to be more expressive.
- Animated Message Effects: This feature will add visual flair and more emotions to users’ chats and reactions.
- Message Controls: This new privacy feature enables users to control where they will like to receive messages and calls requests, whether in chats, message requests folder or not receive them all together. Users will also be able to easily block suspicious accounts and activities across apps.
The update also contains ‘enhanced reporting and blocking’ features which will allow users to report complete conversations and single messages on Instagram and when users will add their account in the new Accounts Center, they will receive blocking suggestions on Instagram and Messenger.
As per the announcement, the new messaging features will release on Instagram first and will appear on the Messenger app later. Currently, the new update will roll out in select countries and will expand globally soon.