Apple has released watchOS 10.1 with new features including Double tap gesture (for Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2), NameDrop for contact sharing, My Card complication, and a number of bug fixes and security updates.
What’s new in watchOS 10.1 for Apple Watch?
Here are the complete release notes from Apple for this software update:
watchOS 10.1 includes new features, improvements, and bug fixes, including:
- Double tap gesture can be used to perform the primary action in notifications and most apps so you can answer a call, play and pause music, stop a timer, and more (Available on Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2)
- NameDrop allows you to exchange contact information with someone new by simply bringing your Apple Watch near their iPhone with iOS 17 or Apple Watch (Available on Apple Watch SE 2, Apple Watch Series 7 and later, and Apple Watch Ultra)
- My Card is available as a complication for quick access to NameDrop
- Fix for bug that causes the climate section in the Home app to be blank
- Addresses an issue that causes a white selection border to be unexpectedly displayed after turning off AssistiveTouch
- Fixes an issue where cities may not sync between iPhone and watch in Weather
- Resolves an issue where the scroll bar may unexpectedly be visible on the display
- Fix for bug that causes elevation to be incorrect for some users
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
Can you install watchOS 10.1 on your Apple Watch?
The new software update is compatible with the following Watch models:
- Apple Watch Series 4
- Apple Watch Series 5
- Apple Watch SE
- Apple Watch Series 6
- Apple Watch Series 7
- Apple Watch Series 8
- Apple Watch Ultra
How can you upgrade your Apple Watch to watchOS 10.1?
Before you start, make sure that your Apple Watch is placed on its charging puck and has at least 50% battery charge. The upgrade can be done through either of the following methods:
- On your paired iPhone, open the Watch app and go to General > Software Update. Wait for the update to appear and start the download.
- On your Apple Watch, go to Settings > General > Software Update. Wait for the update to show up and start the download.
Read more about our ongoing coverage of watchOS 10 features:
- Can Apple bring the Double tap gesture to Apple Watch Series 8 and older models?
- Double Tap gesture coming to Apple Watch Series 9 and Ultra 2 with watchOS 10.1
- Apple Watch gains NameDrop in watchOS 10.1 beta 1
- Gentler Streak gets support for iOS 17 and watchOS 10, along with new iPad app
- How to access Control Center in watchOS 10
- Apple Watch Ultra gets Auto Night mode option in watchOS 10
- Here are the new fitness features for cyclists and hikers in watchOS 10
- Powerful health features for mind and body coming in iOS 17, iPadOS 17 and watchOS 10