Apple has released the fourth developer betas for watchOS 3, tvOS 10 and macOS 10.12 for Apple Watch, Apple TV, and Macs, respectively. The new updates are the latest in a number of betas, that will lead up to the final releases later this fall.
macOS 10.12 beta 4
- If you already have a previous developer beta installed, open up Mac App Store and head to the updates tab to download and install the new version.
- You can also download the complete release from Apple Developer Center for installation. Check out our guide to creating a bootable USB installer for macOS 10.12 for a clean install. You may also try dual-booting macOS 10.12 with OS X if you want to preserve your current installation
Some of the new features and changes in macOS 10.12 include a new name after 15 years (goodbye OS X!), Siri, new notification center and widgets design, auto-unlock via Apple Watch, copy paste between iOS and Mac devices through continuity and more.
watchOS 3 beta 4
If you are already on a previous watchOS 3 developer beta build, you can upgrade by going to the Watch app on your iPhone and opening Settings > Software Update to download and install it. An interesting change in beta 4 is that it does not requires Apple Watch to be kept on the charger for installation.
Here is everything new in watchOS 3:
- Improved app launch and data loading time. Your favorite apps will be kept in memory and will get background updates. So when you launch them, the information will already be up to date rather than making you wait for it to refresh.
- Side button can be used to access a ‘dock’ to quickly access favorite apps. The apps are now both glanceable and interactive.
- watchOS 3 now has a control center similar to iOS
- Message replies are improved. Icons show options to quick reply such as dictation, emojis etc and you can scroll down to see canned responses. A new feature called ‘scribble’ lets you write responses using finger touch.
- New Minnie Mouse watch face, with different color options.
- New Activity watch face in analog, chronograph and digital versions for fitness enthusiasts.
- New watch face called Numerals.
- Swipe on the home screen to switch between watch faces.
- Photos watch face now supports complications
- New apps: Reminders, Find Friends
- New SOS feature. Press and hold the side button to call 911 in emergency situations. Medical ID details will be shown on the watch after the SOS.
- Activities and workout app updates include activity sharing with friends. You can choose which information to share with your contacts.The app shows their activity rings and other details, similar to how you see your own information. You can also send messages to your contacts to challenge them or exchange smack talk. New features targeted towards wheelchair users.
- A new app called ‘Breathe’ to help destress and meditate through deep breathing.
tvOS 10 beta 4
If you are already using a tvOS 10 developer beta on your Apple TV, you can download beta 4 from Settings. Apple has also released the final version of Remote app for iOS, which was previously in beta.
Here are the new features in tvOS 10 beta 4:
- 1300 video channels
- 6000 total apps
- Tons of exclusive new apps and games coming to Apple TV
- New remote app, finally, announced
- Siri now supports movie search by topics.
- Siri can now search 650,000 movies and tv shows now
- YouTube search support added to Siri
- Live Tune-in lets you open a live tv streaming app just by talking to Siri
- Single sign-on comes to Apple TV for cable networks (and to iOS too)
- New dark theme
- When you download an app to iOS, it automatically downloads the tvOS version to Apple TV
- New developer focused features such as ReplayKit, PhotoKit, HomeKit and more
Apple also released the fourth beta of iOS 10 today.